New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2001-09-05 11:24:50

Adrian
Website

Re: Who calls the shots?

I have to say that I'm a bit confused as to exactly who is controlling and funding the Translife mission. According to this MSNBC report, Elon Musk and his Life to Mars Foundation are calling all the shots - they're the ones funding it, and I quote from the article:

Musk made clear that the Life to Mars Foundation would be in charge of the missions it chose to support, but added that ?we?d like to have participation from the Mars Society and probably from the Planetary Society,? as well as other space groups.

Zubrin then says:

?We would be delighted to collaborate with Elon and the Life to Mars Foundation, or to collaborate with NASA, or anyone else who would like to devote resources,? Zubrin said. ?We?re going to be raising money to do this, and we?re going to do it.?

So far so good. But then I read on the Mars Society homepage the bold claim, Mars Society Launches Translife Mission Project, which isn't completely true. The news story also makes no mention of Elon Musk or the Life to Mars Foundation.

I'm nothing less than delighted that the Translife Project is going ahead, but if the MSNBC report is correct then the Mars Society is perhaps being a little misleading to the public with its claim that they are running the show.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#2 2001-09-05 14:24:05

JGM

I'm concerned about this too. The article in SpaceRef (http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=383) discussed some possible tension developing along these lines.

"While Zubrin had made repeated references to his desire for the Mars Society to participate in this mission (presumably with Musk's financial support), Musk was curiously silent in that regard. Only when asked after his formal presentation by an audience member whether the Mars Society would have a role, did Musk address the issue - or even mention the Mars Society"

I would hope that this project doesn't become jeopardised by a clash of egos. Efficient collaboration is going to be extremely important in the future for getting privately financed missions to work. Let's all cross our fingers.

#3 2001-10-01 12:45:35

Alexander Sheppard

Indeed... I second this. Although I think that this society's goals are well, its individual interest is totally second to the overall goal of Mars exploration. The Mars Society should definitely mention Elon Musk when it talks about the Translife. I also want the Mars Society to participate, but you can't lie like they have been on the front page.

#4 2002-04-30 23:29:55

Joe Spencer
Banned
Website

Here Here.

Total agreement.  While it may look good as a headline, the last thing needed in a delicate lobby like ours is misread headlines. 

I hope, as you do, that tensions will ease and logic will prevail.  Collaborating on a project of this magnitude would be beneficial to all parties involved, without someone trying to make themselves Caesar of the First Galactic Mouse Colony (sorry it's late here...had to post it hehe.)

Anyway, Zubrin has a good head on his shoulders, as does Musk...it should work out fine.

Respectfully,

Joe Spencer
The Mars Society- San Diego Chapter

Looking Forward (and upward!),

Joe Spencer
Member, The Mars Society
San Diego, CA

jpspencer79@sbcglobal.net

#5 2003-09-24 03:13:28

alokmohan

WHEN THE PROJECT MAY START?

#6 2004-11-09 09:26:05

Rxke

HTML exploit warning! Don't click link

EDIT: link and post has been removed by Adrian

#7 2004-11-09 11:04:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thank Rxke:
Just one more reason to keep virus scan definitions up to date. Symatec indicates bloodhound.exploit.6 current version will quarantine the item but not fix it. Clear internet files from temporary files and complete the deletion process.

#8 2005-02-09 14:03:16

bomaxwell

WRT the Translife project, and speaking as a member of the International Steering Committee (ISC) of the Mars Society:

1. The project was originally initiated by the Mars Society.
2. MIT were initially assigned as project managers, with their team reporting into the Society's ISC. Shortly thereafter, GWU and UQ (Australia) joined the project
3. During 2002 gaps opened between the Mars Society and MIT, with the MIT project team taking the project more and more in their own direction.
4. At the time the project was initiated, Elon Musk was not involved in either the Mars Society or the project itself, therefore the bulletin published by the Mars Society remains correct in not mentioning him, as it is an historical document, rather than a "live" status report.
5. As it stands, Translife as a project is defunct. MIT is currently co-ordinating a project called the Mars Gravity Biosatellite Mission, which is divorced from both the Mars Society and somewhat removed from the original Translife concept. At this point it time, it is fair to say it is unclear whether the MGBS will result in an actual mission.
6. The Mars Society and Mars Society UK are engaged on moves to re-invigorate the original concepts of Translife and develop a project that will result in a flyable mission.

Hope this clarifies things.

#9 2021-07-18 06:31:07

tahanson43206

While reading the various topics in this Index Level item, I found this report on the history of the initiative.

bomaxwell wrote:

WRT the Translife project, and speaking as a member of the International Steering Committee (ISC) of the Mars Society:

1. The project was originally initiated by the Mars Society.
2. MIT were initially assigned as project managers, with their team reporting into the Society's ISC. Shortly thereafter, GWU and UQ (Australia) joined the project
3. During 2002 gaps opened between the Mars Society and MIT, with the MIT project team taking the project more and more in their own direction.
4. At the time the project was initiated, Elon Musk was not involved in either the Mars Society or the project itself, therefore the bulletin published by the Mars Society remains correct in not mentioning him, as it is an historical document, rather than a "live" status report.
5. As it stands, Translife as a project is defunct. MIT is currently co-ordinating a project called the Mars Gravity Biosatellite Mission, which is divorced from both the Mars Society and somewhat removed from the original Translife concept. At this point it time, it is fair to say it is unclear whether the MGBS will result in an actual mission.
6. The Mars Society and Mars Society UK are engaged on moves to re-invigorate the original concepts of Translife and develop a project that will result in a flyable mission.

Hope this clarifies things.

I'd appreciate anyone who might have a bit of time investigating to see what might have come of the MIT activity.

I've not heard of anything, but that in itself certainly doesn't mean the project was abandoned. 

In any case, as mentioned in Terraformer's Egg Swing topic, I'd like to see the Large Ship project identified as the logical place for any experiments along these lines, with funding for related purposes devoted to helping RobertDyck to put some metal into orbit.

(th)

#10 2021-07-18 07:08:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Translife as a project is defunct. MIT is currently co-ordinating a project called the Mars Gravity Biosatellite Mission,

I believe Marsdrive has the rights to this but even they are mostly defunct as well. They do have a twitter and Facebook page.
MarDrive was in a growing spell back before the web crashing happened to the many forums which had been partnered with Mars society.

A review of folders shows we are missing quite a few topics from that era including one with that title...alone with the one which Mars Society was going to do with a tether.

Board footer