New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-09-20 19:47:16

jabe

Re: Packing for the moon

Ok,
Not sure if it has been talked about in threads..did a quick scan but it seems to deserve a thread of its own...
Now that we know how we are getting to the moon, what payload is available?  One article I read, from space.com said that similar to newtons 3rd law

for every action plan there is always an equal but opposite reaction.

so I'm not going to discuss why its right or wrong, good or bad but what now to do with it.

The plan doesn't seem to have the permanent base on the moon built into the scheme, which probably is a good thing since it will just raise the cost that may scare the politicians (and general public) from supporting it as too expensive.  Some articles seem to hint that $100 billion is too high just for the "bare bones" approach.  But the possibilty doesn't discount if someone decides to foot the bill for making the habitat/factory. i.e A "Bigelow type" project or politicians decide to say hey.. it seems to be accepted by the general public so lets pay the design and building of an outpost.

So not having found the stats on the payloads for the Lunar lander, anyone know what it can carry to the moon suface?  Be nice to see a scenario like the ability of two landers going to the moon at the same time..one carrying a rover, the other a bigelow type inflatible stucture..so when they land close to another the rover can drag the stucture out of the other lander, have it inflated and then have the rover help cover the habitat with regolith so it is an instant outpost.

I myself think its a good start to the moon.  Love to see them throw more money at it but I don't think that will be politically acceptable... so lets do what we can with what we got.

Any comments?

Board footer