New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-09-09 14:22:58

Palomar

Re: Backpack / Electricity

Read me

*Haven't seen this posted yet.  Might come in handy somewhere else, someday (hopefully soon).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-09-09 19:51:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Saw this earlier on some other sites with photo image concepts of internal workings but of course those did not cover the electrical content that this article includes.
Unfortunately this has military applications to save on the use of carrying extra batteries into the field of battle.
I will try to find the other links on monday from my other computer at work.

#3 2005-09-09 19:53:58

John Creighton
Website

Read me

*Haven't seen this posted yet.  Might come in handy somewhere else, someday (hopefully soon).

--Cindy

An 85 pound backback that shakes up and down on your hike? I don't want to carry one.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#4 2005-11-08 18:30:03

noosfractal
Website

Nano World: Power for soldiers, sat phones

Fuel cells generate electricity by reacting fuel with oxygen. NanoDynamics in Buffalo, N.Y., is developing fuel cells that employ nanotechnology to help supply power for longer times at less weight and size than batteries or conventional fuel cells. One 50-watt solid oxide fuel-cell prototype, roughly the size of a loaf of bread, is composed of roughly 20 percent nanomaterials and can generate some 3,000 watt-hours of electricity from just 5 pounds of propane. A conventional solid oxide fuel cell given that little propane would generate only one-half to one-third as many watt-hours.

The prototype, "originally designed for a combat soldier, could replace about 35 pounds of batteries," said Keith Blakely, chief executive officer at NanoDynamics.

Operates at 800° C
_

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#5 2005-11-08 20:57:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Great link on the fuel cell technology advances. There is a thread with other fuel cell technology but search usually does not yeild it up. Some of these other units have been to covert methane while another was regular petroleum product. I also recall a link about miniature turbines with simular temperatures for energy conversion.

#6 2006-01-06 22:22:56

bobunf

I thought nanotechnology referred to manipulation at the molecular or even atomic level rather than herding molecules in great statistical herds. These guys sound like they’re just making smaller, lighter components.

Nanotech is better PR than miniaturization?  Maybe BS should be the acronym.

Bob

Board footer