New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-09-08 12:12:00

Palomar

Re: Video Tombstones

*Is technology:

Aka "Serenity Panel"

Currently only guaranteed to work at a low of 32 F.  That'd eliminate the upper tier States. 

Interesting.  But vandal-proof?  I'd have to see that to believe it.  Hopefully, if this catches on, it'd always be discreet (earphones only).  Good grief, there's hardly any place to go nowadays without something trumpeting forth from a loudspeaker.  sad  I don't often visit cemeteries (understatement), but the tranquility and quiet should not be jeopardized and the deceased should be respected. 

Speaking of graveyards and tombstones, the Latinos in this region decorate the graves of their loved ones very ornately.  Spanish Catholicism is very evident, of course:  Besides the rosy (made of silk) crosses, huge colorful wreaths and pitchers filled with tissue and silk flowers there are also devotional candles, candleholders, icons painted on tile and affixed to headstones, and even tiny shrines with statues of Christ or the Virgin Mary or a Saint encased behind green-tinged glass and secured with a small bolt and padlock.  The cemeteries back home (Midwest) are extremely dull and drab by comparison.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer