New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#276 2007-03-05 21:43:28

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Katrina and New Orleans

Seems like only yesterday that we were all discussing the events following the Huricanes of 2005 and how the effects of global warming may have contributed to there great strength. We also talked about the debauckle of Fema and how poorly the agency was prepared for the disasters even thou they had plenty of time to react some would say.

There has been huge gaping problems with housing, corruption plus more since and it still continues for those that were in the path.

FEMA shuts Katrina victims’ mobile home park; Agency closes housing over health concerns; residents curious about timing were given 48 hours to move

FEMA abruptly closed down the mobile home park because of ongoing problems that had been plagued by sewage leaks and power outages.
The landowners hadn’t paid bills on time, but a co-owner of the site, said FEMA hadn’t paid on time as well.

They know how to put me out, but they don’t know how to help me out.

FEMA personnel swarmed over the bustling site Sunday, trying to help wherever they could. The agency moved residents’ belongings in rental vans and agreed to pay to put some people’s boxes and bags in storage, especially those residents moving into tighter quarters.

We have 150 people working on site today to make this as easy as possible.

#277 2007-03-05 21:44:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seems like only yesterday that we were all discussing the events following the Huricanes of 2005 and how the effects of global warming may have contributed to there great strength. We also talked about the debauckle of Fema and how poorly the agency was prepared for the disasters even thou they had plenty of time to react some would say.

There has been huge gaping problems with housing, corruption plus more since and it still continues for those that were in the path.

FEMA shuts Katrina victims’ mobile home park; Agency closes housing over health concerns; residents curious about timing were given 48 hours to move

FEMA abruptly closed down the mobile home park because of ongoing problems that had been plagued by sewage leaks and power outages.
The landowners hadn’t paid bills on time, but a co-owner of the site, said FEMA hadn’t paid on time as well.

They know how to put me out, but they don’t know how to help me out.

FEMA personnel swarmed over the bustling site Sunday, trying to help wherever they could. The agency moved residents’ belongings in rental vans and agreed to pay to put some people’s boxes and bags in storage, especially those residents moving into tighter quarters.

We have 150 people working on site today to make this as easy as possible.

#278 2007-03-08 09:02:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

So this is what happens when Fema moves people out of there temporary homes.

070308_fematrailer_hmed_330a.hmedium.jpg

FEMA auctioning off trailers at fire-sale prices; Mobile-home dealers fear government will flood the market

AP_FEMA_TRAILERS_070308.gif

#279 2007-03-12 08:11:24

SpaceNut
Administrator

It would seem that government use of FEMA is getting worse not better for the people that it is designed to help.

'We called it Hurricane FEMA'; Trailer park in Louisiana quickly emptied by federal agents or
shock and awe

Almost all of the trailers' occupants were renters before the storm; unlike homeowners, they received no direct rebuilding assistance from the federal government.

FEMA itself seems torn between closing the parks and serving the poor evacuees squeezed out by the scarcity of housing since the hurricane.

#280 2007-03-13 05:57:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Tracking recovery on the Gulf Coast; Katrina still wallops small businesses

then Hurricane Katrina flattened both buildings. And 17 months later, they say they've received not a penny from their insurer for what they claim to be more than $700,000 in insured damage. Though only slabs remain of the buildings, the Pittaris still must make mortgage payments and they say they've charged $22,500 on credit cards to do so.

#281 2007-03-16 08:15:21

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Why not let them foreclose on the rubble? I can imagine a bank taking possession of a ruined building and trying to sell it. I don't think they'll retrieve the full value of the mortgage. The value of the land is greatly reduced by the absence of a building. Whoever buys the land is going to have to do some building on it.

#282 2008-03-30 20:08:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

The screw ups that these people have and still are enduring is crazy...in light of how much time has gone by for them.

Katrina victims may have to repay money or at least the contractors will as the article points out that the "Contractor says it rushed to deliver aid; agency to collect overpayments"

I can not

Imagine that your home was reduced to mold-covered wood framing by Hurricane Katrina. Desperate for money to rebuild, you engage in a frustrating bureaucratic process, and after months of living in a government provided-trailer that gives off formaldehyde fumes you finally win a federal grant.

living in these conditions or waiting so long for real help to happen.

Of course those contractors that did not do things legal like, aught to be brought up on charges IMO.

I know that I myself was thankful for the help that I recieved back in may of 2006, mothers day floods for my area as it help to fix the home I live in.

#283 2008-04-04 06:33:48

Gregori

Makes me doubtful about Terraforming planets if humans can't manage a simple flood back home...

Maybe there won't be as many poor people on Mars however and the government will even pretend to give a shit in the event of disaster.

#284 2008-04-04 09:22:09

Commodore

The vast majority of the "victims" of the burst levees were "victims" long before the storm hit.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#285 2022-05-18 10:48:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

We have started talking about the strength scale and these were some of the most powerful back to back of which many came together to lend a hand Mold, Leaks, Rot: How Brad Pitt’s Post-Katrina Housing Project Went Horribly Wrong

Board footer