New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-08-28 17:46:11

BWhite

Re: Katrina and New Orleans

Shuttle external tanks come from Michoud, 15 miles from downtown New Orleans (NOLA).

A few hours ago the Weather Channel compared Katrina with last years Cat 4 Harvey that struck Florida.

Harvey's hurricane force winds stretched across a diameter of 45 miles. Katrina's hurricane force winds stretch across 210 miles. They showed the two storns side by side and Harvey was just a baby in comparison.

Prayers, saying the rosary, candles, everyone do it because NOLA is going to get whumped.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#2 2005-08-28 17:55:39

BWhite

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

HURRICANE KATRINAA MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969. MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. ATLEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#3 2005-08-28 18:51:33

BWhite

Anyone see this movie?

The synopsis says its about a Category 6 hurricane that crushes New Orleans.

#4 2005-08-28 19:06:45

clark

Josh is out in Alabama... hope he is okay.

No matter what happens with the storm though, it looks like Shuttle will not be launching till next year. Assuming the plant survives in some meaningful form.

What a mess.

#5 2005-08-28 19:07:21

Palomar

*We've been following Hurricane Katrina in the Weather Watching thread.

Just thought I'd mention it.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2005-08-28 19:51:47

Josh Cryer

The original projections for Katrina were right where I am in Alabama (South East). Later projections sent it more and more west, until now it seems targeted squarely on New Orleans. It doesn't look good at all. New Orleans is the "ideal" catastrophic scenario, every single year it is speculated that a big hurricane might hit New Orleans, because if one did, it would sink the place (and since the news likes to sensationalize, they spout the "what if" scenario). New Orleans, as you all probably know, is several feet below sea level, which creates sort of a doomsday scenario. No sensationalization there.

I lived in New Orleans for a few years there. The levies they talk about are 30+ feet high, I used to go biking or running on the top of the Jefferson Parish levy. If any of them broke during a hurricane, there would be absolute devestation inside the total area within these levees. Even during heavy rainstorms the pumps are incapable of handling the water levels, and flooding occurs (I recall a few years back part of the levy system failed and a whole neighborhood was flooded 6 feet deep just from a pithy rainstorm).

There probably won't be anything more than a bit of rain and wind here, though every time that happens we do lose electricity, too many trees around here. So if I'm not around for a few days you know what happened. tongue

One of my brothers is in New Orleans. What do they mean by "gabled roofs"? He's living in an apartment building and doesn't plan to evacuate. I encouraged him to try to get to the Superdome but I dunno what's up with that, he has no car. He said he'd call when the hurricane hits tonight, so hopefully he's going to be okay.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#7 2005-08-28 20:58:51

SpaceNut
Administrator

Josh is out in Alabama... hope he is okay.

No matter what happens with the storm though, it looks like Shuttle will not be launching till next year. Assuming the plant survives in some meaningful form.

What a mess.

Yup following that possibility in the shuttle 121 thread in the Human folder. It would seem that not many tanks are made at this time and with the last 2 that were not used going to be return for repair. Any wholloping that they recieve pushes the next shuttle launch back even further.

Hope all is well there Josh as the storm continues to get closer.

#8 2005-08-29 12:18:11

SpaceNut
Administrator

There are other effects to this storm other than damage and displayed people.
Katrina Displaces Sea Turtles as well as others of all sizes.

#9 2005-08-30 09:18:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Survival storyies now starting to comeout from the area.
Nearby tree was Mississippian's salvation; Gulfport man climbed into branches from his home and held on for dear life

He clings to tree watching as his home and neighbors crumble for a total five hours.

#10 2005-08-30 12:53:51

BWhite

Hurricane? Nah, its party time

#11 2005-08-30 13:13:49

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yup better than water.
lol

#12 2005-08-30 14:39:50

C M Edwards

44_28_082905_katrina_redcross_450.jpg

I think that about says it.   :cry:

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#13 2005-08-30 15:56:41

Grypd

Right Hurricane Katrina is finished and now comes the cleanup. The problem for the USA is that there is a prediction that up to FOUR more hurricanes can hit the USA in the time left of the season. And sitting in the Atlantic right now is a depression that could follow up to Katrina. It is not the Atlantic though that is the problem it is the warm water and high pressure of the Gulf region.

Lets hope we do not get a repeat of Katrina this year but unfortunatly the likehood is quite high.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#14 2005-08-30 16:33:08

BWhite

Right Hurricane Katrina is finished and now comes the cleanup. The problem for the USA is that there is a prediction that up to FOUR more hurricanes can hit the USA in the time left of the season. And sitting in the Atlantic right now is a depression that could follow up to Katrina. It is not the Atlantic though that is the problem it is the warm water and high pressure of the Gulf region.

Lets hope we do not get a repeat of Katrina this year but unfortunatly the likehood is quite high.

Katrina is finished but the damage to New Orleans is just beginning. If the flood waters kill the pumps, it may take months and months to pump New Orleans dry.

Next, has the course of the Mississippi River been changed? Too early to tell.

The reduction of local wetlands makes this a growing tragedy.

= = =

New Orleans: Although early travelers realized the irrationality of building a port on shifting mud in an area regularly ravaged by storms and disease, the opportunities to make money overrode all objections.

#15 2005-08-30 17:30:36

DonPanic
Website

And while hurricanes strike, at UNO, Bush's diplomacy forbids any reference on climate change...  :shock:

But one thing is sure, the warmer the climate will be the more violent and frequent hurricanes will be as natural heath dissipation mechanisms

#16 2005-08-30 17:35:08

John Creighton
Website

And while hurricanes strike, at UNO, Bush's diplomacy forbids any reference on climate change...  :shock:

Well, the warming of the gulf was caused by a slowing down of the winds which is different then climate change. I do think though that more should be done to reduce the use of fossil fuels but I don’t think that fears of climate change alone are enough reason to do so.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#17 2005-08-30 17:50:43

DonPanic
Website

Well, the warming of the gulf was caused by a slowing down of the winds which is different then climate change. I do think though that more should be done to reduce the use of fossil fuels but I don’t think that fears of climate change alone are enough reason to do so.

What about last year hurricanes ?
What about December 1999 worst tempests France suffered since centuries, that no historic chronicles ever mentionned such a disaster ?
Two hurricanes crossing France one day after the other at the incredible speed for any hurricane of 100 kilometers per hour...
This was the translation speed, not the wirl winds speed which couldn't be measured, as no anemometers here where made for measuring winds faster than 220 km per hour. tongue they simply were broken away.
Its 200 millions trees, 10% of french forests which where rooted off or broken, 30% of electric supply lines out or work.
What about the deepest dryness Portugal suffers now since decennies ?
We don't have fears, boy, we have facts !
It's not because Canada is having advantages with weather warming that there are no threats on other parts of the world.

#18 2005-08-31 01:26:55

Trebuchet
Banned

Actually, the strength and ferocity of hurricanes relies on long-term cycles in the Atlantic; it has nothing to do with global warming. There were lots of strong hurricanes in the 50's-60's and in the 30's too.

As for France, as far as I can tell the storms were 'just' storms, not hurricanes. While the winds and rain are nothing to make light of, actual tropical hurricanes are like no other storms on earth.

#19 2005-08-31 03:04:14

DonPanic
Website

LO

Actually, the strength and ferocity of hurricanes relies on long-term cycles in the Atlantic; it has nothing to do with global warming. There were lots of strong hurricanes in the 50's-60's and in the 30's too.

As for France, as far as I can tell the storms were 'just' storms, not hurricanes. While the winds and rain are nothing to make light of, actual tropical hurricanes are like no other storms on earth.

The differences between storms and hurricanes are a matter of power, all are depressions with rotative motions, as with water heath, a "tropical" depression can upgrade to a hurricane.
Denying global warming is pure propaganda from industrial trusts to avoid to pay the price for environmental efforts. They don't care of people.
But propaganda can't go against thermodynamic laws that tell that the more temperature rises, the more many and violent hurricanes will be.
How many more deaths and destructions do you want to realize ?
So prepare yourself by building safe concrete windproof and waterflowsproof homes if you don't want to evacuate entire regions, specially in Florida and southern coastal states.

Positive effects of the "Century tempests" which stroke France were to lower here wood ans wooden industry subproducts as wooden composite pannels prices.
New replanted forests growth has been much faster than hoped.
Now, with oil price rise, there are huge stocks of wood that can be burned as an alternative for homes heathing. Anyways, with almost 50% of the french territory covered with forests, and the many nuke power plants, we think that France will suffer less than many other countries from oil price rises, and France economical growth seems to restart.

#20 2005-08-31 06:07:12

Cobra Commander

Denying global warming is pure propaganda from industrial trusts to avoid to pay the price for environmental efforts. They don't care of people.

Here's the problem. Too many people link global warming with human industry when there is no conclusive evidence to tie them together. Maybe the world is getting warmer (that itself is a matter of some dispute) but accepting the premise, it in no way indicates that we're directly behind it. I know it's tempting to think I don't remember it ever being this hot, the world is changing. I bet it's because of all the pollution. Yeah, that's the ticket. The world has always had climate shifts, even in the very brief flash that is human history things have changed dramatically. We're coming off the tail end of a small ice age, of course it's going to get warmer. If it is the result of the natural climate shifts that have occured for as long as the Earth has existed there's nothing we can do about it. I don't like pollution either but skewering our own industry and economy isn't going to stop the planet's cycles. We're better served just accepting what change there is and adjusting to it based on hard facts, not trendy, ever-shifting theories. "Man made global warming" is an exercise in faith, perhaps the fastest growing religion in the world. Like so many other superstitions, making policy based on it will bring misery to many and solve nothing.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#21 2005-08-31 06:21:38

DonPanic
Website

"Man made global warming" is an exercise in faith, perhaps the fastest growing religion in the world. Like so many other superstitions, making policy based on it will bring misery to many and solve nothing.

I think you mix everything with real poor arguments. That's just blah blah blah.
Faith, superstitions and religions were never based on things like thermometers, lots of scientific measures and satellite earth watching.
By chance we still have a strong public research that doesn't rely on private financements and scientists which are free to say what they want, not what lab sponsors want them to say.

#22 2005-08-31 06:53:00

Cobra Commander

I think you mix everything with real poor arguments. That's just blah blah blah.
Faith, superstitions and religions were never based on things like thermometers, lots of scientific measures and satellite earth watching.

None of which logically leads to the conclusion that human activity is the direct cause of the change or that we can reverse it. Hence the "exercise of faith" comment.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#23 2005-08-31 07:05:42

DonPanic
Website

None of which logically leads to the conclusion that human activity is the direct cause of the change or that we can reverse it. Hence the "exercise of faith" comment.

Don't you try to reverse the real positions.
None of which ? may be, but if you collect the whole datas, then there are no doubts.
Still you blah blah blah. The faith is on your side, not on the scientific side.
If you cannot demonstrate that solar activity or inner earth radioactivity is on the rise,
or that astronomic conditions are responsible for earth temperature rise, then you have as only argument you stutborn conviction to deny scientific evidences.

#24 2005-08-31 07:24:15

Cobra Commander

None of which ? may be, but if you collect the whole datas, then there are no doubts.
Still you blah blah blah. The faith is on your side, not on the scientific side.

Jumping to conclusions isn't scientific. The mere presence of climate change in no way indicates a direct human cause for it.

#25 2005-08-31 07:31:06

DonPanic
Website

Jumping to conclusions isn't scientific. The mere presence of climate change in no way indicates a direct human cause for it.

So, tell me why there is a global temperature rise on earth ?
Termits farts ?  big_smile

I'm waiting for YOUR arguments.

Board footer