New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-08-25 04:59:50

Palomar

Re: Venus & Jupiter

Sky Map

*They're appearing closer together in the twilight/early evening sky.  Map is being hosted by spaceweather.com.

While walking the other evening my husband identified both Venus and Jupiter; he'd seen me looking over.  Guess the ol' amateur influence is on him a bit.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-08-29 17:28:43

Palomar

Re: Venus & Jupiter

*These "sunset planets" are appearing even closer together now.  big_smile

Updated Sky Map

They are indeed a lovely sight.  My husband and I enjoy Jupiter and Venus during our evening walks.  Balmy weather, silky black nights and the two brightest planets so "close" together.  N-i-c-e. 

-also-

On Sept. 1st, the two planets will be just one degree apart; that's about the width of your index finger held at arm's length.

Sky map and quoted text are courtesy spaceweather.com. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer