New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-07-27 05:40:55

Palomar

Re: Contest: Build a Better Glove

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish … ml?2672005

*Checked Search; didn't find this as having already been posted.  Since this folder's description includes suits, I thought I'd put it here.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-08-03 10:51:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sort of goes along with my other post on spacesuits in the human thread:

[url=http://www.connpost.com/business/ci_2888824]Local Company Suits up for Space Travel
Business designing special suit to aid in Mars mission[/url]

Astronauts exploring space and walking on the moon have all worn gear designed and produced by the workers at Air-Lock Inc.
Now the engineers and machinists inhabiting the little factory that looks like a series of old Army barracks off Milford's Gulf Street are developing a new suit to clothe the first Mars exploration teams.

NASA throws down the gauntlet to glove designers

99997719F1.JPG

NASA is looking for next-generation spacewalk gloves, and announced its new design competition on Friday.

The space agency will award $250,000 to the team that designs and creates the best glove – challengers will go glove-to-glove in a competition in November 2006.

#3 2005-08-04 09:50:37

Palomar

*No doubt it's already been proposed, considered, thought of...

Must gloves be so bulky and cumbersome?  Can't a salve/ointment/cream be created (or has it been and failed, and I'm unaware of this) which works similar to a sunblock (except it blocks radiation)?  It could be applied thickly to the flesh of the hands/wrists, and lighter/more flexible gloves worn over?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2005-08-05 14:30:29

Commodore

Is it even possible to make SPF 10,000?  tongue

We may find our time is better spent developing mechanical extentions like those found on Robonaut.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

Board footer