New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-08-29 12:58:06

Adrian
Website

Re: Forums deleted

Just went and deleted 'New Mars News' and 'Local Chapters' forums. The former went because it was completely redundant (Meta New Mars does exactly the same thing) and the latter because it didn't have anything in it.

I'm now considering deleting the 'Youth Group' forum, which has zero posts. While there is no evidence that there'll be any posts made there in the future, I still hold out hope that some younger Mars advocates will post there. Failing that, it'll be the next one to go if I start feeling that the front page is getting too cluttered.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#2 2002-08-31 03:39:45

Adrian
Website

In case anyone was wondering why the post count just went down, I did a forum recount and rebuild. After deleting those forums and the fact that the 'Face on Mars' thread is acting strangely, we've dropped about 60 posts.

#3 2002-10-14 18:53:01

Shaun Barrett

Hi Adrian!

Just to alert you to what may be a glitch in the Face on Mars forum.

After my most recent post there, I'm pretty sure there was a response from MarkS and Nirgal82, and then a response from Tripp.
    I planned to come back and reply to their comments when time allowed, but have found since that only MarkS's post remains. Nirgal82's and Tripp's posts could be on page 7 but page 7 doesn't want to open.
    Even Cindy's clever trick of going into "reply mode" in order to access the recalcitrant page, fails to work in this case!!

If you get time, could you please look into this?
    Many thanks in anticipation!
                                             smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2002-10-14 21:03:23

Phobos

If Cindy's trick doesn't work just post another message and that should bring the hidden messages into view.  Just call the page revealing post a place holder page or better yet use the opportunity to jump on your soapbox. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#5 2002-10-14 21:21:12

Phobos

It appears Shaun stumbled onto a new gremlin.  There appears to be a major malfunction in the "Face on Mars, Hard evidence wanted, please" thread.  I posted four messages but none of them appeared. Maybe all those NASA moles hacked into the forum to hide the truth. *puts on metal hat* sad

#6 2002-10-15 01:21:18

Shaun Barrett

Thanks for trying Phobos!

But I'm a bit concerned about you putting on your metal helmet....

PUTTING IT ON !!! .... GOOD GOD, MAN !! ... WHATEVER POSSESSED YOU TO TAKE IT OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE ?!!!

sad

I took mine off once. And that was when I woke up face down in the dirt, just outside the perimeter fence of Area 51, with the strange red marks on my forehead and the bar-code behind my left ear .... and the headaches ... Oh God, the awful headaches ... !!!
                                          :0

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#7 2002-10-15 02:35:38

Adrian
Website

Something's very wrong with that thread, it was losing posts before. I've tried rebuilding it but I can't seem to restore any of the lost posts, sorry. I suggest that someone starts up a new thread that will continue the discussion.

#8 2002-10-15 03:53:48

Josh Cryer

Can't you move it, and then move it back? Or is that what you did?

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#9 2002-10-15 03:57:24

Adrian
Website

Nah, that wouldn't work, the thread itself is corrupted for some reason; I've tried restoring the posts there in the past and it just didn't work. I'm going to close the Face on Mars thread now to further replies and start up a new thread.

#10 2002-10-15 11:59:24

clark

Which begs the question I had entertained before in the thread, if the information is screened before hand, how would we ever know?

Information is power, but the control of the flow of that information is absolute power.

big_smile  tongue  big_smile

#11 2002-10-15 14:40:21

Adrian
Website

Yeah... unbeknowest to all of you, the corruption in the 'Face on Mars' thread is not actually corruption, but me deleting posts that I deem are bad for the New Mars society! It's all a conspiracy!  big_smile

#12 2002-10-15 15:10:32

clark

I knew it! Adrian is a front man for "them".

Who are "they" by the way? big_smile

#13 2002-10-15 15:15:34

Adrian
Website

I could tell you, but of course then I'd have to kill you  smile

#14 2002-10-15 16:52:51

Phobos

PUTTING IT ON !!! .... GOOD GOD, MAN !! ... WHATEVER POSSESSED YOU TO TAKE IT OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE ?!!!

sad

I took mine off once. And that was when I woke up face down in the dirt, just outside the perimeter fence of Area 51, with the strange red marks on my forehead and the bar-code behind my left ear .... and the headaches ... Oh God, the awful headaches ... !!!

Don't blame me!!!  I didn't take it off!!  I just told the barber to cut around the edges of the hat where some hair had grown out, but before I could react he took the whole hat off and scanned my brain with a pair of mind-reading scissors. Is there no end to NASA's treachery? sad  I fear that's what went wrong with the forum, they saw that we knew too much about, what was that again?  What's my name!  HEY WHERE AM I!!!!

#15 2002-10-16 09:39:03

Palomar

sad

Don't blame me!!!  I didn't take it off!!  I just told the barber to cut around the edges of the hat where some hair had grown out, but before I could react he took the whole hat off and scanned my brain with a pair of mind-reading scissors. Is there no end to NASA's treachery? sad  I fear that's what went wrong with the forum, they saw that we knew too much about, what was that again?  What's my name!  HEY WHERE AM I!!!!

I hereby recommend not only metal helmets during our awakening hours, but metal nightcaps during sleep.

And Shaun, your experience with Area 51 was nothing, honey -- nothing compared to my experience.  I was impregnated with quintuplets by aliens!  Top that, mister!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#16 2002-11-10 13:23:57

dicktice

To a newcomer, all this is just a lot of nonsense...what are you all talking/joking/blathering about?

#17 2002-11-10 13:31:04

Adrian
Website

Yep, we have a lot of in-jokes in these forums which I understand can make life hard for new members. Basically, Mars and space exploration seems to attract more than its fair share of conspiracy theorists (whom we lovingly term 'whackos'). These people often come to these forums to try and make us see the light and realise that there are in fact aliens on Mars and that NASA is in fact an evil organization covering everything up.

It's been a bit of a running joke that said whackos will wear metal beanies (hats) made from tin foil so that the aliens/NASA will not be able to use their mind control rays on them (c.f. 'Signs'). And that's about it  smile

#18 2002-11-10 18:53:45

Shaun Barrett

This may be "a bit of a running joke" to you Adrian, but it's life and death to us!!
                                  :angry:

Let this be a warning to you, Dicktice. You can see what's happened to Adrian because he refuses to wear a metal helmet ... he's fallen prey to the NASA mind-control rays and been drawn to the Dark Side!!

Be alert, be careful ... 'they' want your mind!    :0

Board footer