New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-22 15:17:38

Gennaro

Re: Okay, I Did It Again - "What if We Lose, Vietnam II", Corrupted

I'm very sorry, but it seems I just destroyed the above mentioned thread, by inserting a new message. Maybe it's a consequence to excessive editing.

I'm contemplating to resign from the New Mars Forums entirely, since this is not the first time it happens and interesting posts with much labour invested into them by members do not deserve the fate of being obliterated in this way.

Guilt and consternation,
Gennaro
sad

#2 2004-03-22 15:40:18

Palomar

I'm very sorry, but it seems I just destroyed the above mentioned thread, by inserting a new message. Maybe it's a consequence to excessive editing.

I'm contemplating to resign from the New Mars Forums entirely, since this is not the first time it happens and interesting posts with much labour invested into them by members do not deserve the fate of being obliterated in this way.

Guilt and consternation,
Gennaro
sad

*No, Gennaro -- don't go.

Things like this simply happen from time to time.  It's happened to me at least twice in all the time I've been here.  Sometimes the threads are retrievable.  Sometimes they collapse on their own (too many posts).  I recall one time I did edit a message at least twice and ka-boom, it "collapsed" when I went back...but later it was okay.

Don't leave us!  This is the internet; kooky things can happen.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-03-22 17:02:39

Gennaro

Cindy, you are the sweetest.

I couldn't positively defy you when you put it like that...

Well, I'll hang around a while then. smile

I just feel so sorry for everyone's sake. But maybe, just maybe the administration might fix it this time.

Otherwise, there was a trick a I learned to salvage the texts themselves that I think Bill White taught me, although the authors would be lost and when setting it up a new it got a corny look.

I'll try that if no other way can be found.

#4 2004-03-22 17:46:21

Adrian
Website

Ah, never mind, these things happen when the threads get long. I just tried rebuilding it, which didn't work - only the first 65 posts were saved - but it should be stable now. I think locking threads at 200 posts might be a good idea. In any case, it's definitely not something worth leaving other!  :band:

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#5 2004-03-22 20:16:20

Diablo

Hello, how are you?

#6 2004-03-23 01:46:43

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#7 2004-03-23 18:15:37

Gennaro

Hello Mundaka! The reply which set the card house tumbling was actually adressed to you. In retrospect I'm not sure it was very interesting, only rather voluminous. I was just about to send you a PM about it when that last edit proved to be an edit too far...

Maybe it sounds silly, but because I observed that every time this has happened lately it's been due to me (which I now understand isn't entirely correct either), I estimated that my PC, although unlikely, could perhaps be involved somehow.
I don't know, I'm just a history teacher, I know nothing about tech stuff...

#8 2004-04-11 17:22:34

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#9 2004-04-19 17:00:31

Mundaka
Banned

neutral