New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-12-21 11:38:20

Bill White

Re: Mars Academy - Anyone here know about this?

Austin Stanley posted as follows in another thread:

To do what you propose the spacecraft would have to carry twice as much fuel as it would it need to simply go and stop at mars (using it's engines, not aero-breaking) and much more than to simply get there and come back via a free return orbit.  When ever you got to the stopping place, it would have spend essentialy the same amount of energy it has spent to get there to stop, and then spend that amount again to get back.

Here's a good in-depth lesson on orbital mechanics.
http://www.marsacademy.com/orbmect/orbl … rbles1.htm

I followed his link and I really liked what I saw. However, it looks like the site has been neglected for a while.

The latest "latest news" posting was dated April 2001.

Does anyone know more about the Mars Academy?

#2 2002-12-21 16:28:04

Phobos

That looks like a good site to visit if anyone's just interested in the physics of spaceflight.  The orbit finder wouldn't load up for me though. sad

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#3 2002-12-22 12:01:29

PaganToris
Banned
Website

welll now spaceflight we all have rocket ships to do that i thnx we should just STOP this non since about SPACE ELEVATORS (PHOBOS) and just stop it all we ave enough stuff to take us the space. Me i can get the Star ship enterprice and get to mars in a matter of sec's
so "THATS ALL I GOT TO SAY BOUT THAT*

ZIGIE ZOKKIE  ZIGIE ZOKKIE OY OY OY
if u know what show thats from than where cool smile

#4 2002-12-22 12:12:51

soph

rocket ships havent done anything for us for 40 years.  sapce elevators are genius.  they would allow a whole new generation of space development, exploration, and settelement. 

that is, if they are built.

#5 2002-12-22 14:27:07

Phobos

I agree with Soph.  Rockets in their current incarnations will never open the possibilities of space the way elevators could at least as far as getting off the surface of Earth and into space goes.  But then again Shaun Barrett is still holding out hope for anti-grav so maybe we're all wrong about the next technological revolution in spaceflight. smile

rocket ships havent done anything for us for 40 years.  sapce elevators are genius.  they would allow a whole new generation of space development, exploration, and settelement. 

that is, if they are built.

I believe they'll be built eventually.  Even if Highlift doesn't pull it off, NASA or ESA, don't remember which, said they planned to get into serious space elevator research around 2020 which is way too late in my opinion, but like they say, better late than never.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#6 2002-12-22 15:58:31

CalTech2010

If I've said it once, I've said it 10000 times

With my luck, on a space elevator, I'd get wedged between the fat Albanian woman and the guy with the coffee reading his New York Times.  And once we got there, we could all look forward to a nice, dusty glass of unfrozen polar ice water!

And with all of this emphasis on bettering humanity, we could invest billions to build low-gravity martini glasses!  Ah, the magic of science!

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

Board footer