New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-02-12 10:06:46

Cyspacemom

Re: Mars Direct on West Wing - TV drama gives us good publicity

Anybody see the mention of Mars Direct on the drama The West Wing last night?  I was surprised, especially because it was such a favorable presentation.  This show has such a liberal bent that I expected space exploration to be skewered.
Did someone talk from the show talk to Bob Zubrin?

#2 2004-02-12 10:19:15

Palomar

*Hi Cyspacemom.  Sorry, I don't watch that program.  Interesting to hear that Mars Direct was mentioned in it.

The real White House needs to get in on the act -- Directly.  wink

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-02-12 11:05:31

dicktice

I, too, was pleased and surprised to see and hear the conversationally presented subplot describing (1) Mars Direct as using "today's technology", and (2) showing the use of a modern software-controlled amateur telescope "for nine-year-olds," in last night's episode of The West Wing.
   Indications were, that--since the last scene showed the White House staffer who'd undergone the indoctrination, setting up and peering through a similar telescope (with the Capital Building in the background!)--next week's episode will continue the subplot regarding Mars Direct.
   Everybody: Let's all see it together next week and, if it appears to be done right, support the cast and writers collectively on the internet!

#4 2004-02-12 11:32:25

Josh Cryer

Wow, that's absolutely fantastic. I've been a fan of the West Wing for awhile, but haven't seen much TV in the last few weeks. Think I'll go download that episode.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#5 2004-02-17 00:22:08

Dennis Gutknecht

Don't be mistaken in thinking that all liberals are against the space program my friends smile I, personally, am extremely liberal, and I feel that the space program is extremely important, especially plans like Mars Direct that make SENSE! Now if we could only get rid of some of the bureaucracy in NASA, things might get rolling smile

#6 2004-02-17 15:43:39

RobS
Banned
Website

I am mostly a liberal as well and have been surprised by comments on the forums that liberals are anti-space. The Apollo mission was started by Kennedy and developed by Johnson, after all, and stopped by Nixon. But I thought West Wing did a good job of arguing why liberals should support the space program.

-- RobS

#7 2004-02-18 00:10:05

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#8 2004-02-18 14:12:57

Dennis Gutknecht

I know this isn't entirely the place for this kind of talk, but I just wanted to point something out real quick smile Being a liberal doesn't mean you are against civil liberties. "Liberal" as it is used in current day politics tends to refer to more of a belief in a certain economic policy. This is why the typical 'left/right' scale doesn't really work at all. I recommend going to [http://www.politicalcompass.org]www.politicalcompass.org. It adds a second axis of measurement, authoritarian or libertarian. I'm a liberal libertarian. I'm a gun owner myself in fact (M1 Garand Rifle if you are interested). But the main point of all of this is that liberal does not mean anti-space. I believe that nothing can represent that which is good about both humanity and the human spirit more than the exploration of space. I still hold the hope that maybe, someday, programs like manned space exploration just might persuade people to put their energies to greater works beyond finding more reasons to kill each other.

Well, anyway, sorry for the diatribe folks smile

#9 2004-02-19 18:44:50

Cyspacemom

I guess space exploration doesn't belong in either the liberal or conservative camp.  So we should theoretically be able to get a broad base of support from both sides.

Since we've wandered into the political arena, does anyone know where Kerry stands on space exploration?

Carole Jones

#10 2004-02-19 19:11:19

Dennis Gutknecht

I'm not sure where Kerry stands, but I have emailed him about a plan I idea I have for implementing Mars Direct which is in the thred "Mars- lets do it without NASA" if you would like to see what it is. I also sugjest emailing both Edwards and Kerry if you think that my idea has merit. The more that do so, the better chance we have of one of them listening smile

#11 2004-02-20 22:24:48

Earthfirst

I think that you people at the mars society should make a movie about your mars direct plan. Then it would become widly accepeted.

I love plants!

#12 2004-02-20 22:28:01

Earthfirst

Those No good liberals will be the death of the space program, they would much rather use the money that NSA gets and spend it on social programs. Kerry must not win others wise mars will be delayed for another 40 years.
:angry: I hate democrat sum :angry:

I love plants!

#13 2004-02-21 15:48:02

Dennis Gutknecht

Im sorta guessing that was a joke, right? lol smile

#14 2004-03-04 20:57:34

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#15 2004-03-05 09:27:56

dicktice

I think that you people at the mars society should make a movie about your mars direct plan. Then it would become widly accepeted.

"You people." Who are you then?

#16 2004-03-05 09:33:37

dicktice

I'm a gun owner myself in fact (M1 Garand Rifle if you are interested).

50,000 lbs. of chamber pressure, accurate, dependable, rugged -- THAT is a rifle.

The M1 is why I can't hear out of my right ear. Back then, you just didn't say, "Sarge, I forget my ear protectors." Boy, what a noise, and what a thumb injury if you weren't dareful. Nice woodwork, too. But way too heavy, and not enough cartridges in a fire-fight. But, having outlived all that, I'm just grateful for being alive and blathering to all an sundry in the Mars Society.

#17 2004-03-06 18:08:18

Dennis Gutknecht

dicktice, I would imagine though, even with all that, you still would take the M1 Garand over any of the bolt actions being used by the Axis powers of the day smile

#18 2004-03-07 09:20:14

dicktice

dicktice, I would imagine though, even with all that, you still would take the M1 Garand over any of the bolt actions being used by the Axis powers of the day smile

We weren't issued any automatic weapons, like the British Sten guns, and a dumb little bayonet the Japanese must've found humorous. If Harry Truman hadn't approved of the A-bomb, I have to admit, my bunch of infantry trainees would have been wiped out to a man in the invasion of Japan. So much for my interest in the M1. (I just mentioned it because of its side effect of causing deafness.) Flame throwers would have been the weapon of preference, and who wants to talk about that! No more, please: end of subject.

Board footer