New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-06-13 14:14:11

Alexander Sheppard

Re: Nuclear Suit

I have an idea. Lets build a nuclear suit. We can all carry around nuclear reactors on our backs, so that if we run out of power we have a convenient spare.

#2 2003-06-13 14:43:12

Echus_Chasma
Website

umm, how big will they be?, and I don't really want neutrons going into my back...

Reading over your post it sounds like your suggesting having them turned off while your walking around, but still, I think that they would be way too bulky for everyone to carry.

If anyone has seen the movie Red Planet (don't rush out and see it if you haven't, it's pathetic and you will hate it), they have nuclear batteries in their environmental suits. But they were really ridged and I would hate to wear one of them.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#3 2003-06-13 17:37:31

nirgal
Banned

By nuclear batteries you mean RTGs? That would be a good idea I think...

#4 2003-06-13 20:53:53

Free Spirit
Banned

Is Alexander being sarcastic?  I haven't been around here long enough to judge, but it sounds like he is.  big_smile

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

Board footer