New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-12-22 08:16:18

GraemeSkinner
Website

Re: Any Chemists? - Quick question...

One of the locations I work at has a stange problem, the kettle (white plastic) after a few weeks use has started to change colour inside where the water resides, but the colour is a strong cyan. So what leaves a cyan residue after boiling?

The water does taste funny, and was checked by a water company who suggested "running it a bit before drinking".

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#2 2004-12-22 15:50:05

Grypd

It may be that your water has a higher acidic base than normal. In this case it will have dissolved copper in it and this will form on the element of your kettle. When it boils it will stain the plastic.

Hope this helps
Kev

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#3 2004-12-22 15:58:51

GCNRevenger

Its probobly the plastic starting to degrade from the thermal stress. Do you know what kind of plastic it is? If the container imparts a taste to the water, I would certainly quit using it, decomposed polymeric componets aren't good for you.

Very few polymers can withstand boiling water for extended periods, and unsaturated polymer componets could also have a colored tint.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#4 2004-12-22 19:06:33

John Creighton
Website

If the container imparts a taste to the water, I would certainly quit using it, decomposed polymeric componets aren't good for you.

I find any plastic container adds a taste to water.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#5 2004-12-22 22:21:45

GraemeSkinner
Website

It may be that your water has a higher acidic base than normal. In this case it will have dissolved copper in it and this will form on the element of your kettle. When it boils it will stain the plastic.
Hope this helps

I'd wondered about copper, at least its not lead :;):  though I don't know if copper has any effect on the body or not.

Its probobly the plastic starting to degrade from the thermal stress. Do you know what kind of plastic it is? If the container imparts a taste to the water, I would certainly quit using it, decomposed polymeric componets aren't good for you.
Very few polymers can withstand boiling water for extended periods, and unsaturated polymer componets could also have a colored tint.

The kettle is only a few weeks old but it could be degrading I suppose, the last kettle was nearly black inside from years of use, perhaps this new kettle will go from cyan to black if its kept long enough. The location in question uses a lot of lime, and huge amounts of ash from blast furnaces, I'd wondered if something had got into the water supply.

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#6 2004-12-22 22:22:23

GCNRevenger

I doubt its the containers' doing, the seepage of plasticizer is extremely small over the short time scales you put the water in. It could also be residual soap on a soft polymer's surface. If the polymer has been damaged by heat though, that is a different matter.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

#7 2004-12-22 22:24:21

GCNRevenger

It could be something in the water deposited into the soft surface of the polymer when heated, which would impart the color.

#8 2004-12-22 22:27:42

GraemeSkinner
Website

It could be something in the water deposited into the soft surface of the polymer when heated, which would impart the color.

I think I'll just take a flask  big_smile

The kettle is just a standard cheap white plastic upright jug type.

One odd little point which may be a coincidence, when the water tastes really funny you go to the toilet a lot more the next day.

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

#9 2004-12-23 06:17:59

SpaceNut
Administrator

Just in case you do not see this in the other post:
discontinue drinking the water? I know from my own home where Iron and magnesium are very high that it is unwise to ingest any amount long term.
If you where to distill it then it would be ok.

#10 2004-12-23 06:21:53

GraemeSkinner
Website

Thanks for the advice SpaceNut, I'll hassle a few people and try to get it sorted.

Graeme

She set out one day
in a relative way
--Arthur Buller--

Board footer