New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-12-12 23:45:53

Palomar

Re: Favorite Stellar Double? - (whether visual or true binary)

*My favorite is Albireo, in Cygnus.  Of course, it's rapidly swinging out of view now (summer constellation, to the far NW early in the evening).

Two nice images (appears a bit smaller in my 'scope -- especially compared to the bottom image -- on high magnification):

albireo.jpg

Albireo-BetCYG-22x5s-m1.jpg

*Lovely orange and blue (the secondary star appears *more* bluish in the eyepiece than it does in these pics).  smile  And yours?  I know there's some other amateur astronomers here (and maybe a pro or two). 

Would -love- to see Antares' little green companion but it goes without saying that my 'scope isn't quite up to tackling that task!  tongue

--Cindy

P.S.:  Some comments by others (with better equipment than I) as to http://www.carbonar.es/s33/scorpius/Antares.html]the challenges of "splitting" Antares and its companion.  (Well...except for the person with the 16" Dobsonian of course!)

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-12-13 02:05:36

GraemeSkinner
Website

*My favorite is Albireo, in Cygnus.  Of course, it's rapidly swinging out of view now (summer constellation, to the far NW early in the evening).
*Lovely orange and blue (the secondary star appears *more* bluish in the eyepiece than it does in these pics).  smile  And yours?  I know there's some other amateur astronomers here (and maybe a pro or two).

Eta Cassiopeiae is amongst my favourite doubles as it was one of the first doubles I viewed through my scope (could not find it for ages - poorly aligned finder now fixed). Phi Cassiopeiae was next viewed but could not resolve that night (nor many after) I've only really seen it once on a very still night.

Would -love- to see Antares' little green companion but it goes without saying that my 'scope isn't quite up to tackling that task!

A lot of people are using modified web cams these days (as your second image shows) to pick up feinter objects, perhaps thats the way to go.

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#3 2004-12-13 18:27:06

Palomar

Eta Cassiopeiae is amongst my favourite doubles as it was one of the first doubles I viewed through my scope

*It's been a while since I viewed that double. 

could not find it for ages - poorly aligned finder now fixed

*Some of those viewfinders are a royal pain in the backside.  Mine has no magnification at all; is basically a metal ring which is merely a part of a larger piece of metal which attaches over the barrel of the 'scope.  When it's flush against the eyepiece casing (which takes a nanosecond to adjust), I'm ready to go. 

Me:  "Would -love- to see Antares' little green companion but it goes without saying that my 'scope isn't quite up to tackling that task!"

A lot of people are using modified web cams these days (as your second image shows) to pick up feinter objects, perhaps thats the way to go.

Graeme

*I'd like that opportunity but I don't have access to one and my 'scope wouldn't be compatible (no tracking, no coordinate circles -- pure star-hopping).  If it's an attachment to the 'scope itself; I don't know much about modified web cams and things of that nature. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2004-12-13 18:55:55

Yang Liwei Rocket

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

Board footer