New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-03-15 09:31:42

REB
Banned
Website

Re: Computer data storage - How small can it get?

A computer stores data with switches that are either turned on or off. If the switch is on, the value is a 1; if off the value is 0. This is a ‘bit’ of data.

By arranging these 0 and 1 in different ways, we tell the computer what to do. This is called the Binary Language. For example this arrangement of 0s and 1s- 01100101- tells the computer it is an “e”.

Anyway, for a science fiction story I was writing, I was wondering how small can computer storage get? At the atomic level? Subatomic level?

I started thinking how an atom might be used for storage. What if we used the state of the electron field around an atom to give us some varable?

Lets take a the simplest atom, a hydrogen atom. I hydrogen atom can have no electrons, making it a positive hydrogen ion; a single electron, making a neutral hydrogen atom; two electrons making it a negative hydrogen ion.

Say our computer chip is has hydrogen atoms/ions at the end of each switch and say we can add or remove electrons. We now have a very tiny 3-way switch. Instead of on/off (1/0) we have X,Y, and Z giving us far more combinations than 0 and 1. We now have 0,1, 2.

Such a system would be small, and it could store massive amounts of data compared to its silicon counterparts.

We could use larger atoms, but they would take up more space, however, they would have more combinations. Larger atoms have several Energy Levels (Shells) These are, if I remember my chemistry correctly, the K,L,M,N and O shells. As energy is applied or removed from an atom, its electrons jump between shells. This could give us many combination for data storage with each atom.

As I get time, I will explore this idea further. It makes good science fiction, and who know, maybe it will lead to something useful.

Robert E. Bleier

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#2 2005-03-15 10:57:37

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sounds neat all for the radioactive isotopes that could be conceived. Rather than a 2 dimensional array of row and columns it would end up with a 3rd undefined.
Reminds me of the borg cube  big_smile

#3 2005-03-15 11:14:09

REB
Banned
Website

That is kind of how I view it. Right now we have 2-D storage. Using the hydrogen atom/ION's would make it 3-D storage. And it would be very small.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#4 2005-03-15 11:23:17

REB
Banned
Website

The three obstacles I see for making this work with the hydrogen atoms/IONs is;

1.Storage: how do we store the hydrogen atoms/IONs so they can be useful?

2.Adding/Removing electrons. Shouldn’t be too difficult to figure out.

3. How to read the atom/ION to tell if it has one electron two electrons or no electrons. This shouldn’t be too difficult either.

#5 2005-04-01 09:53:07

srmeaney

Consider this: The universe, You, me, everything is nothing more than an energy field entangled through Dimensions of Gravity (and thus it's own time & space). That means that if you can create a unverse (more field) "beyond" a single point in this universe, then you can use that part of the total field to store information. It's mass and time could be infinite and yet the moment that defines that information still exits through a single point of interaction which has no mass or dimension or time.

#6 2005-04-01 11:45:24

GCNRevenger

Translation: "I like big mystical sounding physics words because I'm bad at math, so I can't be a real physicist, and so I champion hair-brained fiction as revolutionary fact so I sound smart."
----------------------------------------------------------------

You can't use different energy levels in atoms to store information I don't think, because there really isn't any effective way to prevent an atom with an electron at a high energy state from spontainiously decaying to a lower energy state.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#7 2005-04-02 05:45:39

srmeaney

GCNRevenger Posted on April 01 2005, 12:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Translation: "I like big mystical sounding physics words because I'm bad at math, so I can't be a real physicist, and so I champion hair-brained fiction as revolutionary fact so I sound smart."
----------------------------------------------------------------

You can't use different energy levels in atoms to store information I don't think, because there really isn't any effective way to prevent an atom with an electron at a high energy state from spontainiously decaying to a lower energy state.

I dont need a translation. I actually understand words. When you think, you still operate on the assumption that the Universe is even real

Energy=dv^di*j{dt}^g^n

The j{dt} is the unreal universe. When the thing that causes the Universe to be switched on is switched off, you, me, everything will cease to exist. We cease to exist because di=0
anything to the power of zero=1.
e=1*j{dt}=j{dt}
This means that the "shape of the Universe" is being propped up by the energy that creates it. If that cyclic energy fails, the Universe fails.

I take it imaginary numbers have no meaning or purpose to you. When I tell you that "Gravity is a Dimension", You must understand, It has more validity than "The World is flat".

What should concern all you heretics is that I am looking at a formula virtualy identical to Impulse = Force * dt.

Board footer