New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-16 06:18:10

Palomar

Re: Dome C:  Antarctica

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/telescop … Australian researchers

*"A small unmanned observatory high on the Antarctic plateau provides the best star-viewing site on Earth...Australian researchers have shown than a ground-based telescope in Antarctica can take images almost as good as those from the Hubble Space Telescope, at a fraction of the cost..."

*Discusses all the benefits of an observatory there, including low light pollution (erm...yeah).  smile  Lack of seismic activity, low infrared sky emission, general lack of clouds, dry, wind factors, etc. 

"It means there's now a fantastic opportunity now for Australian astronomers to build world-beating telescopes at the site. I expect the romance and adventure of this combination of astronomy and Antarctica will inspire the next generation of young scientists."  :up:

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-09-17 08:30:07

Shaun Barrett

Cindy:-

... including low light pollution (erm...yeah).  smile

:laugh:  Ha-ha!!

The Australian economy is only about 1/14th the size of America's. Aussie scientists get used to having to 'make do' with less funding but, in spite of that, Australia consistently punches above its weight in scientific affairs.
    This is something I'm very proud of, though I wish we'd get off our behinds and build a nice spaceport up on Cape York Peninsula!
                                         roll

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2004-09-17 12:31:03

Rxke

They should add a "Mars Analog"esque boot camp...

... And use it for survival-training for astronauts in training and/or hardware testing etc...

#4 2004-09-17 12:45:16

REB
Banned
Website

I wonder if they could build a giant mirror out of the ice in Antartica?

It would have to be set in the ice, so it would only move as the Earth moves.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#5 2004-09-18 09:45:08

Palomar

The Australian economy is only about 1/14th the size of America's. Aussie scientists get used to having to 'make do' with less funding but, in spite of that, Australia consistently punches above its weight in scientific affairs.

*Yes.  I frequently see Australia mentioned in astronomy-related articles; in fact, just yesterday (not related to this thread's topic) but I can't recall which web site.  :hm:  New discoveries, telescopes, etc.  A definite healthy aggression there. 

Very impressive indeed. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#6 2004-09-19 07:22:21

Shaun Barrett

Thanks, Cindy!
    Yes, we have a few 'smart cookies' in the "Great Southern Land"!
                                            cool    smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#7 2004-09-19 16:06:24

Trebuchet
Banned

Australia gets an assist from position, too - Southern Hemisphere, English-speaking nation, high-quality (if small) economy.

Edit: Which doesn't take away from the accomplishments of the Aussies, just pointing out that they have a nice set of natural advantages they grabbed and ran with.

#8 2005-01-08 13:31:56

Palomar

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.htm … 850]Albedo studies

*Yep...I thought we already had a thread for Dome C.  Looks like the folks working there are being well fed (they certainly deserve it!).

They're speculating that the region around Dome C is the most unchangeable and stable surface on Earth.  Are studying the amount of sunlight reflected off the snow, etc.  North American and Eurasian springtime snow (albedo) has a big impact, apparently.

Unusual, interesting article. 

Includes using their studies to assist with calibration of instruments on satellites. 

--Cindy

Board footer