New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-05-07 12:09:54

Palomar

Re: Antimatter:  Galactic Cloud

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap970501.html]Comments?

*Have decided to create a thread just for this image and short article (instead of placing it in the "Singularity" thread, as I'm not sure how many people read in that thread regularly and because of the emphasis on antimatter).

There's been talk recently along this line, in different threads.  Am reluctant to post it in any previous threads, for concern of making an assumption and don't want to drive a thread off-topic, etc.

The center of our Milky Way Galaxy is full of surprises. Its latest spectacular is a mysterious cloud glowing in gamma rays produced by annihilating antimatter particles!  Star Trek fans are all too familiar with the consequences of mixing matter (electrons) and antimatter (positrons) - the particles catastrophically annihilate converting their masses to energy according to Einstein's famous E=mc2.

Haven't seen this article posted previously, but then I'm about the only person who posts from Astropix. 

They're wondering how this cloud could have formed and if there are others "out there."

Have fun.

Really, I don't know what the big deal is.  All you need is a silver wrench and to carefully listen that the humming doesn't get too loud.  tongue  LOL!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-05-07 16:58:30

DanielCook

Re: Antimatter:  Galactic Cloud

Hey, Cindi -

Intriguing article. I wonder how this new observation will impact origin theories (Big Bang) and theories on black holes ...

4,000 light year pocket of anti-matter ... wow.

<Shakes head>

Daniel

-- memento mori

Board footer