New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-02-15 11:02:50

Palomar

Re: Anti-Matter & CERN Laboratory

*This is a bit out of my ken, but figured I'd post it.  I found it as part of a longer column article (featuring other items as well) in my Astronomy magazine e-newsletter:

Although it sounds like science fiction, physicists routinely make atoms of anti-hydrogen at the CERN laboratory in Geneva.  Now, physicists report what may be the coldest anti-atoms ever created in a lab

The Antiproton Decelerator at CERN produces, collects, cools, decelerates and extracts antimatter for use in experiments. CERN (This was an image, which I can't lift from the page)

Anti-hydrogen is the antimatter counterpart of hydrogen, the universe's most common element, and it was first detected at CERN in 1995. But the anti-atoms moved at nearly light-speed, much too fast for physicists to carry out measurements to any desirable level of accuracy. Since then, work has focused on making cold anti-hydrogen, atoms moving slow enough to trap and permit high-precision measurements of the atoms' fundamental properties.

Harvard University physicist C. H. Storry and other members of the ATRAP collaboration report a step toward this goal in the December 31, 2004, issue of Physical Review Letters. For the first time, they used lasers to improve control over the production of anti-H. A laser excites cesium atoms into specific states, then positrons — anti-electrons — collide with the atoms. Each cesium atom relinquishes one electron to a colliding positron. The electron-positron pairs, which form an atom-like entity known as positronium, inherit the excitation of the original cesium atoms. Occasionally, the positron component will latch onto a passing anti-proton, forming anti-H with the same level of excitation as the positronium.

Although the laser makes less anti-hydrogen than other methods, the control it offers over conditions within the trap will be useful in future experiments. — Francis Reddy

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-02-16 14:13:41

C M Edwards

Well, it's about time.  I've been waiting more than a decade for further progress toward antimatter ice.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#3 2005-02-16 23:07:02

Shaun Barrett

CM:-

Well, it's about time.  I've been waiting more than a decade for further progress toward antimatter ice.

Me too!
    It'd be a real talking-point to put it in martinis at your next party. Should be quite a blast.
                                                 cool

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer