New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-11-27 03:55:01

Rxke

Re: Clickworkers - Do some science when you're bored!

Not sure if this is the right place to submit it, but this NASA/Ames researsch page, Clickworkers is a nice way to do some distributed geologic gruntwork behind your desk... You get a picture of a part of Mars, and mark the craters, by clicking on their rims... (Hence the name 'clickworkers') This way it should be possible to calculate the geological age of that particular spot... There are different projects to choose from, some are already finished, so read the introduction carefully before you start clicking.

tr it, it's fun AND a great way to contribute to Mars science!

(Edited) i did some clicking, and it's breathtaking... you get the most amazing photographs... Filesizes differ wildly, expect between 50k to 4-5Mb(!) I had the impression tha the 'preferences' to select only smaller sized pics didn't work very well... So, make sure you have enough memory and maybe 'broadband' connection, or you're in for a long wait...

#2 2003-11-27 11:11:17

Palomar

Not sure if this is the right place to submit it, but this NASA/Ames researsch page, Clickworkers is a nice way to do some distributed geologic gruntwork behind your desk... You get a picture of a part of Mars,...

(Edited) i did some clicking, and it's breathtaking... you get the most amazing photographs... Filesizes differ wildly, expect between 50k to 4-5Mb(!) I had the impression tha the 'preferences' to select only smaller sized pics didn't work very well... So, make sure you have enough memory and maybe 'broadband' connection, or you're in for a long wait...

*Sounds interesting, but the link you provide leads to an error page (at least for me).  My ISP connection is fine.  At the very least, I'd like to view the photos.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2003-11-27 11:28:10

Rxke

You're right... But i always double-check my links after posting to make sure, and i assure you it worked when i posted it... So it's probably temporarily.

(Another solar flare?)

'Bout the pictures: you don't choose them, 'they' send them over, but that's cool, you get a random pick, and sometimes theyr're really neat, and there's a link to show you where it originally came from, if you're really interested.

I had some pictures that really made my heart beat faster... Such magnificence.

(if you're REALLY aching to know more, here's the Google Cache )

#4 2003-11-28 14:21:43

jadeheart
Banned

i couldn't connect to the site either.  will try again tomorrow.  maybe they're making some changes or something.

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

#5 2003-11-29 06:43:18

Rxke

Still down... Hope it's not for long. I'll check the site regularly, and update this thread when it's active again.

(Message to thread: prepare to dive...)

#6 2003-11-29 07:30:47

Palomar

(if you're REALLY aching to know more, here's the Google Cache )

*The Google Cache Rxke provided in a recent post (above) worked for me the day he posted it, and is still working just fine.  smile 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#7 2003-11-29 08:25:40

Rxke

Yes, but that's only the 'frontpage-introduction' cache, none of the links in the article work ('cause their server is down) so it's only "reading", not "clicking"....

Found a German-language article saying they were a bit cash-strapped, maybe i just witnessed their last signs of existence, let's hope not sad

#8 2003-12-04 10:15:32

Rxke

The site is up again!  smile

(edited, barely one day later )

And down again sad  (What's happening there?)

#9 2003-12-06 02:12:39

Rxke

erm. The site is up again big_smile

(For how long??????)

(edit 8-10 hours later: not for long. Ok, I've had it up to 'here'. Forget clickworking!) :angry:

#10 2004-08-16 21:14:12

Palomar

*I thought Rik had previously http://clickworkers.arc.nasa.gov/top]brought up this "experiment in volunteer science."  (Thank god for the "Search" feature)

Got a reminder when searching "Astropix" archives.  It's ongoing, although I see (and recall) Rik seemed dissatisfied with the site itself.  However --

"In 2005 or 2006, we will be working with the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter mission."

Just thought I'd post the reminder.

--Cindy

#11 2004-08-17 01:02:20

Rxke

Not dissatisfied, au contraire, I thought it was brilliant, I really loved clicking away, but the site was off-line very frequently...

Now I see it's up again, yay!

Thx, Cindy, for bringing this back up....

Board footer