New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-29 11:51:47

Byron

Re: The Space Shuttle - a touch of nostalgia here...

I'm creating a new thread about the Space Shuttle, as per Cindy's request with a re-posting of what I wrote in the "Saturn V" thread...

--I was just a *tad* young to remember the Apollo missions...the only memories I have from that era was watching a couple of launches of the Saturn V on the TV in the early '70's.

But what I do have fond memories of is the Space Shuttle in the early '80's...I'd be glued to the TV for each and every launch in the early days, and the landings as well.  Not to mention I had this super-cool poster with a cut-away view of the Shuttle at that time, right above my bed...lol.

When I moved to Orlando in the early '90's, I'd watch the Shuttle launches on NASA TV, and as soon it was off the launch pad, I'd step outside and look 60 miles to the east and watch it soar into the sky.  I was constantly amazed how well you could see the Shuttle even at that distance, watching it going all the way up into space, especially if you used a pair of binoculars.

But the coolest thing were the landings at Kennedy...most of the landing approaches involved the Shuttle dropping down over central Florida, with its attendent sonic booms.  I'd be watching the landing sequence on TV, and just when they would have the shuttle in sight from the ground...BOOMBOOM!..it was like hearing a double-barrel cannon going off just overhead..lol...I mean, it was LOUD.  Then about two minutes later, you could see the stubby craft turning onto short final at 350+ mph (on TV), dropping like a brick before flaring out on the runway for a picture-perfect landing...that was always an amazing, thrilling thing to see.

The Space Shuttle may not be the mighty Saturn V, but I'll be missing it just the same when they retire it from service...<sighs>

B

Board footer