New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-05-28 09:45:58

Palomar

Re: Russian Lake *Disappears* - !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20050 … ussia]Whoa Nellie  yikes

*Good grief.  :-\  I'm definitely in the "never heard of something like THIS before" ranks. 

As dramatic as it sounds, I can't imagine actually witnessing it.  Wow.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-05-29 00:55:57

Weave
Banned

Oh            Well! big_smile

[size=18:sig_uid]WEAVE[/size:sig_uid]

#3 2005-05-31 05:52:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sounds like someone pulled the plug from the bottom of the lake just like in a tub of water.

Any other word on where the water went or of its cause?

#4 2005-05-31 13:08:27

Palomar

Sounds like someone pulled the plug from the bottom of the lake just like in a tub of water.

Any other word on where the water went or of its cause?

*Hi SpaceNut:  I've not seen an update on this story.  The only explanation offered so far is from the original article:

Government officials theorize that a shift in soils underneath the lake opened access to an underground channel that drained the water, estimated from several thousand to more than a million cubic yards, into a subterranean cavern. From there, it may have flowed into the Oka River a few miles away.

The channel-to-the-river theory has gained credence during the last week, as several fishermen along the Oka reported catching 35-pound carp. The species has been found in the lake but not the river.

Interesting that over the years various "things" disappeared (laundry, a church, caves, bats)...then all of a sudden, >>wham-o!<< the whole frickin' lake is gone.  ::shakes head::

If anyone sees an update, please post it.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer