New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-01-27 16:54:08

nebula
Banned

Re: Planetary Society Wants to Build Mars Outposts - So they want to re-invent the wheel

I was checking out the Planetary Society's webpage and they are accepting donations to build Mars Outposts. What is the point? We are already doing it. It is basically re-inventing the wheel. What would be good is if the Planetary Society and the Mars Society could work together in these projects and merge funds. Any thoughts?

#2 2002-01-28 10:08:31

Bill White

Re: Planetary Society Wants to Build Mars Outposts - So they want to re-invent the wheel

Has anyone else received the Planetary Society fundraising mailing about funding robotic missions to Mars?

Any thoughts?

#3 2002-04-30 23:25:08

Joe Spencer
Banned
Website

Bill,

While I didn't receive an email concerning the robotics fundraising, I did see the announcements on their site.  While I won't give them my money (MS first...you know how it is), I will lend them some verbal support.  I hope they are able to pull off some research missions.  The information that they are able to bring back would be invaluable...but wouldn't it conflict, however slightly, with the NASA R.A.T.s program they are doing? (you know, the cute little robots with diamond teeth they want to send up to crack open some geodes on the Red Planet...hehe)

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Respectfully,

Joe Spencer
The Mars Society- San Diego Chapter

Looking Forward (and upward!),

Joe Spencer
Member, The Mars Society
San Diego, CA

jpspencer79@sbcglobal.net

#4 2002-05-14 14:31:36

Christina

Has anyone else received the Planetary Society fundraising mailing about funding robotic missions to Mars?

Any thoughts?

Not a thing, but then, they've had a hard time this year prising my membership renewal money out of me....

[i]the early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese[/i]

Board footer