New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-18 09:31:35

Palomar

Re: Scientific Ballooning

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2004/1 … ns1.jpg]Up, up and away --

*"On Sept. 16th, a NASA balloon took off from Fort Sumner, New Mexico, bound for the stratosphere..."  This pic taken by Mr. Edens near Socorro, NM.  I've seen one or two of these since living in this area.  Altitude of 126,000 ft when pic was taken. 

"It looked quite eerie after sunset, still being in full sunlight in a dark sky next to the crescent moon," says Edens. "The balloon was about as bright as Venus but it appeared bigger..."

It was spotted over Phoenix the next day.  [Image and information being hosted at this date's spaceweather.com home page]

Here's the
http://www.wff.nasa.gov/%7Ecode820/]home page to NASA's Balloon Program Office.  Nice! 

--Cindy

...in my beautiful balloon...

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-09-18 12:13:09

Palomar

http://nightglow.gsfc.nasa.gov/ng.html]NIGHTGLOW

*My local university's Particle Astrophysics Lab was part of this mission to measure UV nightglow.  Hmmm...mission terminated due to pressure loss.  :-\  It was launched from Alice Springs, Australia.  Egad, both Aussie local time and EST time.  Looks like it had a slightly less than 12-hour duration. 

The home page discusses the 3 classes of balloon missions.  The "superpressure pumpkin balloon" -- :laugh:  Cool name.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2019-04-03 18:59:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

bump another topic to fix

#4 2020-07-24 17:06:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

NASA will deploy a huge stratospheric balloon to study newborn stars; NASA plans to send an 8.4 foot telescope into the upper stratosphere aboard a “football stadium” to hoist a telescope into the stratosphere – about 130,000 feet into the air.

NASA unveiled its plans to launch a gigantic balloon attached to a telescope for examining stars and gases in the cosmos. The project, called ASTHROS, short for Astrophysics Stratospheric Telescope for High Spectral Resolution Observations at Submillimeter-wavelengths, NASA says that, when fully inflated, the balloons are 400 feet (150 meters) wide and tentatively plans to launch on December 2023 from Antarctica.

#5 2020-09-06 11:15:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

tahanson43206 wrote:

For SpaceNut ... this item would fit in a number of topics that have balloons as a theme...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/french-compa … 00900.html

This is a French company building a dirigible (from the description) for a number of potential customer applications.  It was originally designed to move logs for environmentally friendly forest operations, but the team has expanded its vision as well as its staff.

(th)

Board footer