New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-30 11:11:05

flashgordon

Re: amazing european sustainable development - where's the U.S. in all this?

http://www.investorideas.com/Companies/ … eather.pdf

I see these guys eventually combining with the X-prizers in the near future to create stable communities in outer space.

What's curious is there is not much U.S. involvement in sustainable technologies; they even refused the Kyoto treaty(maybe it's just the name? cultural bias?)  I suppose one can just blame it on the U.S.'s oil dominance.

#2 2004-01-30 11:14:37

flashgordon

but, there is also an education reason why they are able to do so much sustainable technology development and that takes a different attitude than what is clearly not in existent in the U.S.

#3 2004-01-30 11:39:44

Rxke

actually, there' s been goin on a lot of effort in studies of decentralized energy production, fuel cells etc in the US. it's bound to be an important market in the future, and even oil-giants are pumping huge amounts of dollars into research.
it is, as usual a simple case of supply/demand...

#4 2004-01-30 13:08:23

flashgordon

fuel cells are just one of the topics covered in the article

#5 2004-01-30 13:22:32

Rxke

big_smile  I know, but i'm not a ten finger typist, and i can't possibly touch all the points in the .pdf report, wich *is* impressive, don't get me wrong...

#6 2004-07-25 13:59:30

Morris
Banned

What's curious is there is not much U.S. involvement in sustainable technologies; they even refused the Kyoto treaty(maybe it's just the name? cultural bias?)  I suppose one can just blame it on the U.S.'s oil dominance.

Hmmm. How about the Kyoto Protocols saying that the developed nations, especially US, have to pay the costs of environmental improvement while the "third world" nations pay nothing?

Board footer