New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-12-24 17:18:50

CalTech2010

Re: soil as a building material on Mars? - Zubrin's brick building ideas

What do you think about using Martian soil to build some of our first large structures on Mars?

I'm using for reference Chapter 7 of Bob Zubrin's The Case For Mars, if anyone wanted to know what I was talking about...

Any comments or ideas?

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

#2 2002-12-24 18:34:30

soph

I like the idea of terrestrial and martian plastics and kevlar better than soil...if i remember right, zubrin wanted to use soil as bricks, or radiation shielding.  bricks would be okay, but i still like plastics better, more flexible, mobile, less time to deploy, and cheaper.

#3 2002-12-26 16:02:37

Auqakah

I think that whenever possible (and not for reasons of cheapness, either) any prospective colony should use Martian materials as often as possible. It would be a good symbol, if nothing else, to use the Martian regolith for bricks.

At least the bricks could be used to clad the buildings, and increase the radiation shielding.

NOTE: The Red in me actually hates this idea. But, *sigh*, the Red viewpoint will never win out, and so I might as well capitulate to a certain degree. (At least on this.)  ???

Ex Astra, Scienta

Board footer