New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-11-19 08:43:24

ERRORIST

Re: Sooner than thought space elevator

Wow with this new technology the space elevator is right around the corner. Perhaps, a few years.
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/nanotech … 4zzzz.html

#2 2004-11-19 10:06:56

GCNRevenger

Not really, the problem with making a space elevator is with the nanotubes, not with making materials out of them. The nanotubes today are too short, too irregular, and don't bond well enough to the binder.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2004-11-21 01:28:30

MarsDog

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000 … ]According to Smitherman, construction is not feasible today but it could be toward the end of the 21st century. "First we'll develop the technology," said Smitherman. "In 50 years or so, we'll be there. Then, if the need is there, we'll be able to do this. That's the gist of the report."

index_r14_c3.jpg

Seems a long way.

#4 2004-11-21 10:39:27

flashgordon

regardless of the space elevator concept, I'm wondering what the latest work on nanotubes will have on spacecraft construction . . . .

#5 2004-11-22 00:19:02

Shaun Barrett

According to Arthur C. Clarke, the most prominent failures in the history of predictions about science and technology have involved "a failure of nerve".
    Most 'experts' tend to underestimate the pace of development and err significantly on the pessimistic side - often to their eventual embarrassment.
                                              smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2004-11-22 00:31:11

Shaun Barrett

By the way, ERRORIST, there are 7 OTHER THREADS IN 'SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY' dealing specifically with space elevators, and you had to start another one!
                                                                     roll

It would make a lot more sense to look through the titles and try to continue an already-open thread, than to continually create new ones. It makes finding old posts much more difficult if there are several different headings to search through for basically the same subject.

[Sorry, Adrian and Josh, I'm not deliberately trying to usurp your authority or anything. Just making a friendly suggestion.  smile  ]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer