New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-11-12 09:54:36

Palomar

Re: ADUM Experiment - ...ISS

*This just in from space.com's "Astronotes" (updated column format, must copy and paste):

November 12

Long-distance Science

In the world of science, research never stops. Even if you're living in space.

But for the first time, astronauts aboard the International Space Station (ISS) have managed to send their findings down to Earth and into the pages of a scientific journal.

Ultrasound research collected astronaut Michael Fincke and cosmonaut Gennady Padalka during ISS Expedition 9 while they orbited the Earth appears in the online version of the journal Radiology. The two ISS crewmen spent six months living and working aboard the space station before returning to Earth on Oct. 23.

"It is with great pleasure that we offer to the journal Radiology the first paper ever submitted from the ISS," said Fincke, who served as NASA's ISS science officer and flight engineer during the mission.

The study, an ultrasound look at the shoulder's bone and muscle integrity in space, was part of the Advanced Diagnostic Ultrasound in Microgravity (ADUM) experiment. The ADUM study hoped to determine the effectiveness of in-flight monitoring to detect changes in human muscle and bone cfrom prolonged spaceflight. Fincke and Padalka worked with experienced ultrasound scientists on the ground to take measurements of their own bodies throughout their space mission.

NASA ISS flight controllers repeatedly credited the Expedition 9 crewmembers, Fincke in particular, for their dedication to science during their mission. Despite a series of setbacks and unexpected repairs, the crew met their science targets, with Fincke habitually working into his weekends to perform experiments with ground-based researchers.

-- Tariq Malik

--Cindy

P.S.:  This is the first time anything from ISS astronauts has been published in a science journal?  ???  Did I read that right?  Wow, if so...that's rather sad.

P.P.S.: 

NASA ISS flight controllers repeatedly credited the Expedition 9 crewmembers...for their dedication to science during their mission.

Well, isn't science supposed to be a primary reason for the ISS in the first place?  They need congratulatory reinforcement for what should simply be part of their job?  ???  Maybe it's "just me."

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-11-12 11:09:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

I do not believe that either are doctors as well and that further enhances the surprise of the article being put forth.

I always thought that the ISS would do more but with limited resources and no ability to do anything other than what can be put into an experiment box this is as good as it will probably get. Unless we finally decide to try in orbit rocket assembly or building of a space port.

#3 2004-11-12 11:17:17

Palomar

I do not believe that either are doctors as well and that further enhances the surprise of the article being put forth.

*True, but I was referring to any science journal, of whatever specialty.

Am just genuinely surprised this is a "first," regardless of which scientific field of research.  :-\

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2004-11-12 11:45:09

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well it appears that science is not the only thing that is done on the ISS.
International Space Station Veterans Available for Interviews

#5 2004-11-12 12:14:06

Euler

P.S.:  This is the first time anything from ISS astronauts has been published in a science journal?    Did I read that right?  Wow, if so...that's rather sad.

It is certainly not the first time that results from an experiment on the ISS have been published in a science journal.  However, usually experts on the ground design the experiments, analyze the results, and submit them to a science journal.  Even when astronauts are doing their own experiments, they usually wait until they are back on the ground before they publish the results.  I don't think it is too surprising that this is the first paper published from ISS.

Board footer