New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-02-19 06:53:35

Palomar

Re: Rotundus Robot

(Searched for this in all open forums prior to posting; Search returns no results)

*Its]http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/technovel_rotundus_050218.html]*It's spherical...

...is a sealed ball with no external moving parts exposed to ground or air.  It moves via an internal pendulum.  It can even make snow angels (erm...).

Can move up to a speed of 20 mph (on hard surfaces).  They say it operates equally well on snow, sand or sidewalks. 

Will be used for "security duty."

Anecdotes provided in the article too.  That sci-fi TV show from the late 1960s sounds interesting, lol.  Check out the photo and caption -- "Halt!  Who goes there! --"  A guy pinned down by...

Article's author also mentions another sci-fi reference:  Copseyes.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-02-19 11:08:27

Rxke

IIRC i posted about the predecessors... somewhere...
Tested them at the poles, etc... Harsh conditions, as trial for some cheap-o Mars'rover'

Sigh... I guess security is a bigger market, nowadays...

#3 2005-02-19 12:03:33

Cobra Commander

Article's author also mentions another sci-fi reference:  Copseyes.

Ah yes, I may have to read Cloak of Anarchy again. It illustrates in greatly simplified form the premise I think society should be built on ideally.

But back to the article, somehow a security beachball patrolling the grounds seems odd.  ???

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2005-02-19 12:25:50

Rxke

Hmmm... Do not taunt Happy Funball revisited?  big_smile

#5 2005-02-19 12:30:00

Palomar

But back to the article, somehow a security beachball patrolling the grounds seems odd.   ???

Hmmm... Do not taunt Happy Funball revisited?  big_smile

:laugh:  Oh god, Rik.  That was great, LOL!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2005-02-20 13:44:51

Grypd

The Ministery of Defence in the Uk have a Robot for surveilance and security it is designed to similate a snake and can take damage and the "snake" can simply ignore the damaged region. it is planed to be deployed in 2006.

As snake type robots are very easy technically to make it seems that BEAM types will be used in combat etc.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#7 2005-02-20 14:55:44

dicktice

The Swedish newspaper article mentioned a "Swedish Moon landing in 2008." My reaction is tha a pair of 'em with video cameras each, could perform observations of each other, in motion, by alternately stopping one to look at the other. That goes for any pair of rovers.

Board footer