New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-17 18:39:55

Martian Republic

Re: Laser Communication-Earth/Mars - Mars/Earth Laser Comunication

New laser communication for Mars in 2009. The current rate of communication I about 128,000 thousand bits per second. But the new laser communication will be between one million and 30 million bits per second depending on where Mars is in relation to the Earth.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.j … ns99996409

Larry,

#2 2004-09-17 19:10:17

John Creighton
Website

cool,  cool

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#3 2004-09-17 20:04:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well with a couple of optical smooth surface satelites in orbit you just might be able to have continous comunications.

#4 2004-09-18 10:21:33

Martian Republic

Well with a couple of optical smooth surface satelites in orbit you just might be able to have continous comunications.

Yes, we could transform this thread into talking about setting up an Internet/telephone call/video transmission link between the Earth and Mars using laser beams for both way communication. Where we would have more or less have real time accessing on a limited bases to whether satellites, rover, mapping satellites, etc. as an addition to what ever else we doing.

The subject is open for discussion or comments.

Larry,

#5 2004-09-18 11:38:48

Grypd

It would allow the creation of a decent Hi-speed hi-spec internet type service. It certainly would be good for future space missions if the crew could be linked by the same internet type communication and information media. As for direct communication that would still be limited by relativity so long delays between answers but E mails would be better and postings from the astronauts could reach earth based boards. Imagine the morale boost to the Mars crews when there kids and close family send them mail from there home computers.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#6 2004-09-18 18:21:44

RobS
Banned
Website

By the way, I understand Mars and all the other planets already have internet abbreviations. Has anyone ever seen a table? I wonder whether Mars is .mr, .ma, .mars, or what. Useful to know for my novel, and I'm curious anyway.

-- RobS

#7 2004-09-18 18:48:48

Dook
Banned

Real time communications with mars?  Not possible.  Whether you use lasers to make the information packets larger or radio waves the transmission cannot go faster than the speed of light.

#8 2004-09-19 03:42:36

Algol

True.

For most internet browsing people tend to stick to certain websites. My PDA automatically downloads my favourite websites so i can browse them at my leisure whilst i travel in the mornings etc. It wouldnt be hard for the astronauts to have a list of favourite websites that automatically update for them to browse. (Even message boards could be effectively used.) The twenty minute-or-so delay would be unnoticeble for most things - except the odd google search obviously  cool

(Even message boards could be effectively used.)

#9 2004-09-19 03:52:32

Algol

one more thing - why is this in the Martian Politics section?

#10 2004-09-19 07:51:11

Martian Republic

one more thing - why is this in the Martian Politics section?

I originally intended to put it in either the unmanned mission probes and satellite or on going programs sections, but somehow it landed in the Martian politics section thread, so that where I left it.

I suppose I should move, but that how it got here.

Larry,

#11 2004-09-19 09:25:55

Grypd

It probably should remain in the politics section as it will lead to a period of international linkage in space. As we use the improved communication bands to link up all missions in space a sort of spacenet for all. We will probably use it to communicate between the different countries missions and that requires politics.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#12 2004-09-19 16:01:03

Rxke

True.

For most internet browsing people tend to stick to certain websites. My PDA automatically downloads my favourite websites so i can browse them at my leisure whilst i travel in the mornings etc. It wouldnt be hard for the astronauts to have a list of favourite websites that automatically update for them to browse. (Even message boards could be effectively used.) The twenty minute-or-so delay would be unnoticeble for most things - except the odd google search obviously  cool

(Even message boards could be effectively used.)

Eggs- actly, just use a bigass cache that uses your surfing-history, and in the background 'intelligently' constantly re-updates those places you visited most... When history shows certain links you only visit say about once a week, check for updates every 1/2 week and store (if new content) that on disk... things you check roughly hourly: update every 30 mins etc...

I guess you could do with relatively little diskspace, and extra traffic, but still have a speedy 'up-to-date' feel that way...

#13 2004-09-19 17:56:40

dicktice

Remember the stilted, ham-radio-style tv/voice dialogue in the second half of "2001: A Space Odyssey"? Had to be in order to be reliable, I assume, since that was supposed to be well on the way to Jupiter (originally intended by Clarke to be Saturn, by the way). Broadband, laser internet type communications wouldn't have been as dramatic, but what an improvement! It just wasn't forseen for 2001, back when the film was made. . . .

#14 2004-09-19 18:05:51

John Creighton
Website

Real time communications with mars?  Not possible.

This is a matter of definitions and semantics. Anyway we can all agree that streaming video is possible.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#15 2004-09-20 01:16:22

Algol

Imagine that. A small satellie in mars 'geo'-stationary orbit with a live feed of mars - the whole planet, not just a segment of the surface.

Imagine watching dust storms slowly engulf the planet - now that is the way to inspire people!

Theres a whole 'nother planet out there!

#16 2004-09-20 04:46:43

MarsDog

NASA's Mars Odyssey spacecraft currently boasts the highest data transmission rate at 128,000 bits per second. The new laser will beam back between one million and 30 million bits per second, depending on the distance between Mars and Earth

128,000 bps is just more than 2 phone line modems at 56k
30 megabits is just 30% of the 100 Mbps Ethernet card.
HDTV = 19.25 Mbps.
And with compression, the Mars settlers could watch more than one HDTV channel.

That leap in capacity is due to the different wavelengths of light carrying the data. The laser will use infrared light with a wavelength of 1.06 microns, which is thousands of times shorter than radio waves. Since all light travels at the same speed through space, shorter wavelengths carry more information in the same time.That leap in capacity is due to the different wavelengths of light carrying the data. The laser will use infrared light with a wavelength of 1.06 microns, which is thousands of times shorter than radio waves. Since all light travels at the same speed through space, shorter wavelengths carry more information in the same time.

30 Mbps requires only 15 Mhz bandwith, and even less if multiple signalling levels are used.
So bandwidth is not the issue.

Better link is http://msp.gsfc.nasa.gov/integrator/450.htm#6]see explanation for diagram.

lasercom.jpg

#17 2004-09-20 06:42:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

Great graphics, and on other uses for Weightless wireless
Lasers are being perfected to run remote-control devices underwater, in space and more.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp....8863851

#18 2004-09-20 09:36:22

SpaceNut
Administrator

Any process to transmit data opticall by using Lasers will also need a reciever.
Another use for nanotubes.
Researchers invent antenna for light
Researchers said on Friday they have invented an antenna that captures visible light in much the same way that radio antennas capture radio waves
http://www.cnn.com/2004....ex.html

#19 2004-09-21 03:05:47

MarsDog

Future seems to be nanotube electronics. Conductors, semiconductors, transistors, antenna at light frequencies etc. Will there be nanotube life forms ?

#20 2004-09-21 08:15:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

How about a artificial inteligent nanobot.
Nano sizing technology is definately pushing things smaller all the time.

#21 2004-09-21 08:22:40

Dook
Banned

Real time communications with mars?  Not possible.

This is a matter of definitions and semantics. Anyway we can all agree that streaming video is possible.

Certainly you can download anything you want to watch at a delay.  This won't be that much of a problem if you just want to download Britney Spears latest music video but if you want to talk back and forth to your family you just can't do it.

"You can't go faster than the speed of light" -Edward the nerd.

#22 2004-09-21 18:52:20

MarsDog

4 to 21 minute delay each way. People will get used to it.
-
24 telephone channels takes 1.544 Mbps.
So the 1 Mbps to 30 Mbps channel would give minimum of 16 voice channels.
But out of contact when the Sun is in between.

#23 2004-10-02 07:23:46

Rxke

But out of contact when the Sun is in between.

Not neccesarily.

Put 2 or more commsats, working as relay, into a wide solar-orbit, evenly spaced, so you can always 'see' one...

#24 2004-10-04 11:11:00

MarsDog

During the 12 days of communications blackout by the Sun,
the Martians could just take time off, from having to listen to Earth,
and examine how Mars will be completely sef sufficient.

It could become the equivalent of the Christmass holiday season.

#25 2004-11-15 09:51:55

SpaceNut
Administrator

NASA To Test Laser Communications With Mars Spacecraft Staes that work is under way to build a 300million dollar experiment. Most of this is due for the need of bandwidth of image transmition. Much involvement with the military on this as well.

Board footer