New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-09-05 05:33:09

Ian
Banned

Re: Martian Currency - Will there be a single planetarycurrency

Many nations will most likely be going to mars. How will we handle all of their currency. Right now, Europe is in a transition from different currencies to a single currency "The Euro". I want to know how we will handle the Yen and other currencies from Africa and Russia and South America as well as Canada and the United States? Please reply.

#2 2003-09-05 07:00:41

Shaun Barrett

The C19th was the British century.
    The C20th was the American century.

Mars will be colonised in the C21st, which is unquestionably going to be the Australian century.

In preparation for the inevitable, let us here and now declare the Australian dollar as both the official Terrestrial and Martian currency!
    You can't fight against destiny.
                                                    tongue

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2003-09-05 07:13:49

Palomar

Many nations will most likely be going to mars. How will we handle all of their currency. Right now, Europe is in a transition from different currencies to a single currency "The Euro". I want to know how we will handle the Yen and other currencies from Africa and Russia and South America as well as Canada and the United States? Please reply.

*This topic has been raised previously, but it's good to have a refresher of it.

I suppose in early settlement/colonization, people will barter for goods with one another, exchange labor favors, etc.

It's really projecting far into the future, to think of a multinational presence between multiple colonies.  I think this is an issue which will have to work itself out, and that it's difficult to see "down the road" regarding it. 

If, say, Russia, France, the U.S., Australia, China, and Canada all have colonies, they will have to work out an arrangement, yes, unless they all wish to remain self-sufficient and do not trade between colonies.  If they do decide to trade and exchange, well...they'll figure that out then, I guess.  I see this as a "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" matter.

Shaun:  As regards Australian currency, I can't help wondering how you guys and the Canadians call your currency "dollars," when both countries have maintained closer ties to England than we Yankees have.  I've been, and remain, surprised that Canada and Australia haven't referred to their currency as "pounds" instead.  Just curious.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2003-09-05 07:57:33

Shaun Barrett

Cindy, when Australia abandoned pounds, shillings and pence in favour of decimal currency, they had a competition to name the new money.
    I remember the name 'dollaroo' was one of the entrants ... thank God that failed!! I believe the name 'austral' almost won, which would have found a parallel logic in today's new European currency name, the 'euro'. (You could imagine the trend continuing, with a united Africa perhaps calling their new monetary unit the 'afrik'.)

Anyhow, the popular choice in Australia turned out to be the 'dollar'. I don't have a clue why!
    I don't even know where you yankees got the name from yourselves.
                                        sad

Perhaps you could enlighten me?   ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#5 2003-09-05 08:13:29

Palomar

Shaun:  "Cindy, when Australia abandoned pounds, shillings and pence in favour of decimal currency, they had a competition to name the new money.
   I remember the name 'dollaroo' was one of the entrants ... thank God that failed!!"

*Really, LOL!  Geez, what the hell was that, a play on the word "kangaroo"?  wink

Shaun: "Anyhow, the popular choice in Australia turned out to be the 'dollar'. I don't have a clue why!
   I don't even know where you yankees got the name from yourselves.

Perhaps you could enlighten me?"

*Yipes!  sad  I can't remember.  I do know that, after the Revolutionary War, American leaders were (in both business and personal correspondence, etc.) talking about pounds, pounds sterling -and- dollars.  I've read this mix of currency names in _Tom Paine:  America's Godfather_ by W.E. Woodward.  But Mr. Woodward doesn't provide a history of the dollar, however...which isn't the topic of his book anyway.

I'll see what results I can get from a guy who owns and operates an 18th century megasite, with message board.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#6 2003-09-05 21:46:00

sethmckiness
Banned

I believe that initial there will be little need for a currency on Mars.  But once it goes from Scientific Outposts to a true Government of it's own a truely unique and Martian Currency system will develop on it's own.  I am not sure if one could really guess what it may be based on since I don't see that happening for atleast 75 years.

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#7 2003-09-07 17:15:33

A.J.Armitage

IIRC, "dollar" is an Anglified form of the name of a then-current Spanish denomination.

We got the name the same way the Australians did, we stole it.

Human: the other red meat.

#8 2003-09-07 20:08:16

Palomar

IIRC, "dollar" is an Anglified form of the name of a then-current Spanish denomination.

We got the name the same way the Australians did, we stole it.

*Hi A.J:  Interesting response.

I'm still waiting for an answer from Rick at www.history1700s.com.

--Cindy

Board footer