New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-06 00:41:36

Yang Liwei Rocket

Re: Money,Martian currency,whose face on the marsbill?

Dollar_Mason.jpg

So if we are ever to settle the place we should also issue a note, a good stable currency.

Should the martian bill be backed up with gold and mineral reserves, like other nations do.
Whose face should go on the note, aldrin, yuri, titov, glenn, Lowell, Schiaparelli, the Ming Emperor, H G well, Bush? Or maybe we should NOT put people, is it egotistical to put people.
Like the Euro note, maybe we should put structures on the note, the rover probe, the martian pyramids...Should we also level peg the martian currency to the dollar

14.MS.jpg

What should we call the  new mars bill. The martian-pound, the Nuyen, the marscredit, the martian dollar?
What type of banking system should mars have?

what do u think?

marvin-THMB.jpg

these images are a taken from humor site, but what do you think about the real economy of mars?

7-S-rev.gif

planets might be good?

884meireles_o_dollar.jpg

I know there have been discussion on the mars currency before, but this is about whose face goes on the 1 martian bill

Chinyen_100.jpg

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#2 2004-03-06 02:41:51

Josh Cryer

Cute. Did you make those? I like that coin you made.

If there's a martian currency, I think 'places' on Mars would be the best way to design the faces. Imagine Olympus Mons as a $20 bill or something.

I don't like "In God We Trust" though. So I think that whatever it says, it should be agnostic...

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#3 2004-03-07 02:16:06

Yang Liwei Rocket

no, these images are from humour sites

I think Olympus mons on the "Martian-dollars" would be a great idea
big_smile
it might be a bad idea to put religion quotes, but I think astronauts quote seem OK!!

#4 2004-03-07 08:52:25

Cobra Commander

If it were my decision, the foundation of the Martian currency would be the Auric, a .235 Troy ounce gold coin. For general use there would be Auric bills, backed by gold.

Sure, there is a possibiliy that large amounts of gold could at some point be mined from Mars or asteroids, thus inflating the currency; but in that case we'd still be better off than with paper currency because the inflation would be tied to something real. Runaway inflation would be virtually impossible.

As for what to put on it, I'm thinking scenes of the Martian landscape on the back and pictures of the colony's founders on the front. And some fasces.  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#5 2004-03-07 09:33:35

dicktice

I would stick to barter for as long as possible. Don't forget: "Money is the root of all evil." The troubles in Rome apparently began with the adoption of money in the form of coinage, and money changers and all that led to, right up until now. Barter keeps you honest, generous and polite. You'd never look the Martian equivalent of a gift-horse in the mouth, for instance.

#6 2004-03-07 10:14:20

Palomar

I would stick to barter for as long as possible. Don't forget: "Money is the root of all evil."

*Hi dicktice:  Actually, the quote goes:  "-The love of- money is the root of all evil."

My candidate for a face on Marsian currency?

william-shatner.jpg

Also:

[http://www.space-debris.com/st_shatner_dress.jpg]He's just too gorgeous (guess who??)

--Cindy  :laugh:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2004-03-07 13:19:18

Gennaro

Cindy, and I who thought you were about to put Voltaire on the Mars bill.
big_smile

Cobra:

If it were my decision, the foundation of the Martian currency would be the Auric, a .235 Troy ounce gold coin.

The Auric, wherever did you get that from? Never heard of it. Oh, wait I see, it's derived from aurum isn't it?
smile

Dicktice, I believe the real economic difficulties began for Rome at the time of the hyperinflation in the mid 200's AD. But they had lots of problems by then, as always first of all of a military nature - wars with the Persians in the east, civil wars, Germanic tribes pressing on the borders in the north, plundering northern Italy etc.

As the excessively decadent emperor Gallienus lazed around in fruit baths with his lovers, the empire lost one rich province after the other, resulting in a major breakdown of the distribution system. Prizes increased uncontrollably and at the inflationary peak 3125 double dinars were tucked in a small leather bag called a follis, never to be opened again and used as a sort of monetary unit.

As far as I can tell, Rome was just about always a monetary economy, like all states around the Mediterranean in Antiquity.
Gallienus' successors Claudius II and Aurelian, two outstanding military commanders, managed to restore the empire but the economical and political chaos wasn't truly remedied until Diocletian (284-305) and his harsh and despotic reforms of the entire Roman system. Something which Constantin could benefit from although the latter introduced Christianity as a state religion which was maybe not very beneficial as far as the Roman empire was concerned.

When it comes to Martian currency we could have different motives on different bills naturally.
Yes, it should be backed by gold or similar precious metals, there's probably a lot of it, even lying around scattered on the Martian surface, then it's all about setting the exchange rate.
Something like the Bretton Woods system would probably be preferable, which served the world so well in the post-war decades.

#8 2004-03-07 14:49:15

Palomar

Cindy, and I who thought you were about to put Voltaire on the Mars bill.
big_smile

*Hi Gennaro!  Why would I demote Voltaire to having his pic on the currency; after all, his pic is going to be on the Official Marsian Flag!   tongue   :;):

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#9 2004-03-07 15:04:10

Byron

Oh, so that's why you didn't choose Voltaire..hehe...that's what I would have thought too...

If I had my choice, I'd pick the first person(s) to step foot on Mars to have the honors on being on the currency...also, I'd have images of the first lander, etc. 

B

#10 2004-03-07 15:17:32

John Creighton
Website

I'd choose Martin Fogg, or Neilius Borr

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#11 2004-03-07 15:39:06

Hazer

Put the alledged "Face on Mars" on the 1-unit bill

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#12 2004-03-08 09:01:00

dicktice

I never should have ventured into this forum, where everyone else is so learned. Why can't I get replies this deep and knowledgeable to my forays into strato-volcano mag-lev track launched payloads up to LEO?

#13 2004-03-08 10:08:53

clark

Where exactly does one keep his change in a space suit?  big_smile

#14 2004-03-08 10:44:36

Yang Liwei Rocket

AWT_ProtoCoinDroidC-3POsilver.jpg

Arnold Schwarzenegger was able to keep change in his space suit

How did the hero Arnie buy mars drinks and space stuff....
with
real printed martian money from the film Total-recall, poor douglas quaid

trm1.jpg

here's a 50 and an eight ball

bill-of-total-recall-l.jpg

The Cohaagen company

trm2.jpg

but other systems should have money aswell

mercury.jpg

On a more serious note, mars money may not need the old gold reserves. Instead of having gold banks, mars money could be backed up with its mines and other projects, and resources,
mars may have many resources iron ores, bauxites , complex silicates, minerals and so forth, legal tender will be important for the people, mars should have a strong economic policy a type of monetarism contoling its checks its bill and money supply and keeping it in line with the ammount of goods, chemicals or minerals mars is able to produce. Or next problems to solve will be mars macroeconomics, its relative values and the quantity theory of martian money.

korea1%5B1%5D.jpg

another coin, this one from the future or the past?

Space1999Shuttle.jpg

( which notes & coins are real? Which were once used as money for exchange, and which are fake? )

#15 2004-03-21 15:30:45

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#16 2004-03-29 20:05:17

Aetius

I love the idea of nice gold coins.

Personally, I'm not a Trekkie per se, but I love the idea of putting Captain Kirk's face on some kind of planet-wide Martian colonial currency. I think it would add a nice touch of humor to the various societies of such a hostile, if achingly beautiful, land.

My dream confederacy of city-states, stretching from the subsurface ice reservoirs of Arcadia to the peak of Pavonis Mons, would have some astute quote from Voltaire as its motto. Voltaire rules.     :;):

#17 2004-03-30 15:26:26

clark

Voltaire astute quote/motto for the golden coins...

"When its a question of money, everybody is of the same religion." -Voltaire

Oddly fitting for this group.  :laugh:

#18 2004-03-30 16:28:35

Palomar

...I love the idea of putting Captain Kirk's face on some kind of planet-wide Martian colonial currency. I think it would add a nice touch of humor to the various societies of such a hostile, if achingly beautiful, land.

My dream confederacy of city-states, stretching from the subsurface ice reservoirs of Arcadia to the peak of Pavonis Mons, would have some astute quote from Voltaire as its motto. Voltaire rules.     :;):

*My compliments on your exquisite taste.  wink 

--Cindy

#19 2004-03-30 16:48:31

clark

Here is a question about Voltaire...

Is it true he had a long lasting affair with his niece, daughter of his sister, some 18 years his junior (the niece)?

#20 2004-03-31 17:59:08

Aetius

I'm sure Cindy knows the answer to that one.

Hey, even Whacko Jacko made some fine music, and he's arguably a pedophile. Voltaire might have kept it in the family, but it doesn't diminish his genius in my eyes. Aren't all really smart people incredibly bizarre in one way or another? big_smile

Besides, it was 18th century France.  tongue  Who knows where ordinary French people drew the lines of sexual morality back then?

#21 2004-04-01 08:48:06

clark

Who knows where ordinary French people drew the lines of sexual morality back then?

Hey, I agree. Yet I find it slightly ironic that we can point out that morality is based on the subjective cultural norms of the time and place, yet Voltaire argued for an an objective morality that was not based on any of these things.

I'm guessing Voltaire didn't have much to say on the subject of incest. Not that he needs to, his life speaks volumes.  :laugh:

#22 2004-04-01 09:32:23

Palomar

Who knows where ordinary French people drew the lines of sexual morality back then?

Hey, I agree. Yet I find it slightly ironic that we can point out that morality is based on the subjective cultural norms of the time and place, yet Voltaire argued for an an objective morality that was not based on any of these things.

I'm guessing Voltaire didn't have much to say on the subject of incest. Not that he needs to, his life speaks volumes.  :laugh:

*Hmmmmm.  I'm not sure what Voltaire's personal life (alleged or otherwise) has to do with "Marsian currency, whose face on the marsbill"?  I'm also not sure what your "morality is based on the subjective cultural norms of the time and place" and "objective morality that was not based on any of these things" prattle has to do with the subject for which the thread was established either.  In fact, it has nothing to do with the thread, does it?

But as I'm -not- the person who has taken the thread off-course in this manner, I will address the current matter (briefly, and just once).

Clark, you were mistaken about Voltaire's religious sentiments (or lack thereof).  Last year, in a different thread (I forget which), you asserted that Voltaire was an atheist and you also insinuated he was conflicted about religion.  I demonstrated (via quotes from him) that he was -not- an atheist but in fact a Deist.  You've proven time and time again (to me, at any rate) that your knowledge of Voltaire is found wanting, at best.  smile  You make a lot of assumptions.  And I doubt you have much working knowledge of Voltaire's moral philosophy.

According to esteemed historians Will & Ariel Durant (authors of the "History of Civilization" series of books), sexual relations between uncle and niece was not considered incestual in 18th century France.  In fact, uncles and nieces could marry one another.  Fully legal.  That information was -not- given in connection with Voltaire at all, but included in their discussions of old/ancient laws, mores, customs, etc.

Did Voltaire and his niece have a sexual relationship?  I do know the answer to that.  But considering how in the past you've ridiculed me as "a Voltaire thumper" and a "proselytizer" when discussing the man and his philosophy...well, if I say much more, I might upset you over my "thumping" and "proselytizing."  :laugh:

"Interesting" how your questions just suddenly popped up out of nowhere, completely off topic.  You're not the sort of person who likes trying to tear down the credibility and reputation of another person (dead or alive...such as Robert Zubrin) in order to feel better about yourself, are you?  Or to get attention?  Begrudge the sentiments of others towards persons they hold in esteem?  Or play little games?

You needn't answer those questions to me, of course.  I just couldn't help thinking of them is all.

End of thread interruption on my end. 

---

I notice the Chinese gov't is petitioning for their space hero, Yang Liwei, to have a star named after him.  He's a definite candidate for face on a Marsian currency note.  I also nominate Vostok 6 cosmonaut heroine Thereshkova:

[http://www.astronautix.com/flights/vostok6.htm]Click

--Cindy  smile

#23 2004-04-01 10:44:08

Byron

Just a comment...  While I think it's great that the Chinese space hero is getting a star named after him, etc, in regards to honoring individuals on Martian currency (assuming there would be actual monetary notes in circulation on Mars...I seriously doubt there will), I would think that they would want to honor their own heros, such as the first person to step foot on Mars, etc, as opposed to depicting people from Earth's past that have nothing to do with Mars.

B

#24 2004-04-01 11:58:26

clark

What?! No compliments about my sense of humor?  :laugh:

In fact, it has nothing to do with the thread, does it?

Why no, no it doesn't. Very astute of you. But then I merely asked a question related to the man Aetius would like to honor with a quote upon an imaginary Martian coin.

Clark, you were mistaken about Voltaire's religious sentiments (or lack thereof).  Last year, in a different thread (I forget which), you asserted that Voltaire was an atheist and you also insinuated he was conflicted about religion.  I demonstrated (via quotes from him) that he was -not- an atheist but in fact a Deist.  You've proven time and time again (to me, at any rate) that your knowledge of Voltaire is found wanting, at best.    You make a lot of assumptions.  And I doubt you have much working knowledge of Voltaire's moral philosophy.

Ah, my ignorance shows, dosen't it?  big_smile I am but a humble neophyte in the education of Voltaire's teachings in comparison to you. I readily admit such. Yet my previous assumptions, which you seem to take great pains to point out, do not undermine my current point related to the conduct of Voltaire.

Now, you might continue to berate my apparent misunderstandings of the man and his thoughts, or you might set me and others to right. The choice, as always, is yours.  smile

According to esteemed historians Will & Ariel Durant (authors of the "History of Civilization" series of books), sexual relations between uncle and niece was not considered incestual in 18th century France.  In fact, uncles and nieces could marry one another.  Fully legal.  That information was -not- given in connection with Voltaire at all, but included in their discussions of old/ancient laws, mores, customs, etc.

Perhaps you misunderstand me. I do not fault Voltaire for carrying on a long lasting affair with his sisters daughter. I don't fault him for leaving his previous lover for her either. I read the prose that Emilie du Chatelet wrote upon learning of Voltaire leaving her for his niece, and it moved me. Here, so others may enjoy:

"I have received from God, it is true, one of those tender and immutable souls which do not know how to disguise or to moderate their passions, who know neither weakening nor disgust, and whose steadfastness can resist all things, even the certainty of being no longer loved. But I was happy for ten years in the love of the man who subjugated my soul, and these ten years I passed alone with him, without a single moment of distaste or lassitude. When age, illness, perhaps also the satiety of sensual jouisance diminished his inclination, it was long before I noticed anything. I loved for both of us, enjoyed the pleasure of loving and the illusion of believing myself loved. It is true that I have lost this happy state, and it was not without costing me many a tear."
-Emilie du Chatelet

My point was simply that I find it ironic that his life would be condemned by our own standards today. Most people, generally, do not approve of relationships between an uncle and his niece. I find that it gives a certain amount of perspective on morality, that's all. I hope that clears up any misunderstandings.

Did Voltaire and his niece have a sexual relationship?  I do know the answer to that.  But considering how in the past you've ridiculed me as "a Voltaire thumper" and a "proselytizer" when discussing the man and his philosophy...well, if I say much more, I might upset you over my "thumping" and "proselytizing."

Well, since you seem to be afraid of answering, lest you suffer the wrath of Clark  :laugh: , he did. A long lasting one, at Ferney. Ah, if those walls could talk, eh?

Interesting" how your questions just suddenly popped up out of nowhere, completely off topic.  You're not the sort of person who likes trying to tear down the credibility and reputation of another person (dead or alive...such as Robert Zubrin) in order to feel better about yourself, are you?

Actually, as I recall, Aetius suggested Voltaire, and that led to my question. Maybe it seems to be out of the blue to you, but then you seem to take Voltaire rather personally. I don't see how any of this would make me feel better about myself though, anyway you look at it, so your question is just silly.

Or to get attention?  Begrudge the sentiments of others towards persons they hold in esteem?  Or play little games?

Get attention? Think that much of yourself do you? No matter, I don't sing for you Cindy. And i certainly don't begrudge you or anyone else their fancy. Perhaps I feel pity, but everyone suffers their own affliction.

As for games, want to play some football?

I'm glad you're thinking.  big_smile

#25 2004-04-01 14:25:12

Palomar

Just a comment...  While I think it's great that the Chinese space hero is getting a star named after him, etc, in regards to honoring individuals on Martian currency (assuming there would be actual monetary notes in circulation on Mars...I seriously doubt there will), I would think that they would want to honor their own heros, such as the first person to step foot on Mars, etc, as opposed to depicting people from Earth's past that have nothing to do with Mars.

B

*Good point, Byron.  I hope they'd make an exception for Neil Armstrong, however.  After all, he was the first human to set foot on another celestial object.  What an honor.

That, and building temples to the gorgeousness of William Shatner!  smile 

--Cindy

P.S.:  I responded to Clark's last post in this thread at "Apropos of Nothing *2*"...don't want to continue off-topic.

Board footer