New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#126 2004-08-08 07:21:47

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

Re: You are President

Yes your tax break would allow many to go to college but they had better get in to a private university because the rest would be shut down.  The entire federal government wouldn't be able to operate because of a serious lack of funds.

I never heard of a federal university.

What's the difference between coal and nuclear power?  Chernobyl.

30,000 people in the USA die every YEAR from coal emissions.  10,000 people died in cherynobl.  And cherynobl was an exception, not the rule.

If you want to cut spending by removing military, why not start with forces in Europe? There are 80,000 men in Germany alone. I've heard the Germans make a lot of money out of them, okay, but really, what on earth's name are they doing here?

We withdrew pretty much all our forces from germany for Iraq.  Same with north Korea.  Last I heard, there was exactly one brigade left in south korea.

I've seen the Japanese forces up close and personal and let me tell you they are nothing at all like the world war two movies.  They are truly the most polite and peaceful people I have ever met out of the eleven foreign countries I have travelled to.  I have no doubt that if ever threated with real war the Japanese would fight bravely and be tough adversaries for anyone but they will not fight unless first attacked and the attack must be major.  Their backs must be up against the wall.

The Japanese are realists.  South Korea, Japan and Asia are economically interdependant.  They can't ingore actions by NK against the SK.  We can't either; thats why I want the draft.  So we can increase troops in SK.  But I don't think we need such a large naval capacity in Japan (Naval forces are predominant in the miltary composition of our forces in japan) and those resources could be better allocated elsewhere.  As we all know, the Japanese have a proud naval heirtage. . .

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#127 2004-08-08 08:09:34

Morris
Banned

Re: You are President

Yes your tax break would allow many to go to college but they had better get in to a private university because the rest would be shut down.  The entire federal government wouldn't be able to operate because of a serious lack of funds.

I never heard of a federal university.

Never heard of the military academies?

But even that's not the real point. With rare exceptions, essentially the entire research establishment of this country is funded by the federal government. Eliminate the research grants and the administrative costs paid to the universities to support them and you can say goodbye to most of the graduate programs and many of the undergraduate programs since there is a lot of undergraduate teaching by the supported staff. And also eliminate all those students who are heavily supporting their educations with federal loans.

What's the difference between coal and nuclear power?  Chernobyl.

30,000 people in the USA die every YEAR from coal emissions.  10,000 people died in cherynobl.  And cherynobl was an exception, not the rule.

Great point. One very serious health hazard from coal emissions is mercury poisoning, especially of the fish population. Just yesterday there was an announcement that eating fish from a number of lakes in this state is dangerous to pregnant mothers. While methyl mercury is most dangerous to embryos and children whose nervous systems are rapidly developing (where it is very deadly indeed and in very small concentrations) it is still dangerous to adults. If you don't believe me, ask the older citizens of Minamata (sp?) Japan or of Iraq.

And a couple of weeks ago, there was a story about a man who had made fish he caught himself a major part of his diet for many years. He heard about methyl mercury poisoning and decided to have himself tested. The concentration of mm in his body was many times the "safe" level.

And one of the major sources of mm in the US is coal-fired power plants.

HOWEVER, despite their relative safety, there are very special safety requirements for nuclear power plants. It may be that the reason nuclear power plants in the US have been so safe is because of the existence of tne NRC.

Board footer