New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-06-11 12:24:24

John Creighton
Website

Re: You are President

Imagine you are president,
And you must deliver a speech,
About how you plan to move
America into the 21 century,
What would you say?

edit: I meant to say, “the mid 21 century”. Oh well.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#2 2004-06-11 12:50:23

John Creighton
Website

As we stand on this critical junction, at this crucial moment in history we reach a turning point, of metamorphic importance.

big_smile

With unequivocal resolve we endeavor to undertake the transfiguration from oil based economy to a nuclear powered machine, where the essence of matter is at our disposal for the betterment of human kind. Continued funding will go into gene therapy, and stem sell research to finally rid us of cancer as well as other genetic defects. With this investment in medical research we will aim to have within 10 year a modern day fountain of youth. A committee will be established to supervise the construction of new cites in place we once thought were to hostile for life. The planning will see the cities built from the dust utilizing are recent advances in nano technology.

With new technology comes new responsibility, we must ensure that birth control and food is free to everyone in the world. With new manufacturing techniques and increased commitment to civil engineering, we will provide quality affordable hosing to all in need. More import we will initiate projects to enhance the survivability of people living on earth to global catastrophes, such as plagues, meteor strikes, war and climate change. This will be accomplished by providing increased tax benefits to citizens that construct local life support systems, along side local means of energy production and storage.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#3 2004-06-11 15:44:48

Dook
Banned

We moved into the 21st century years ago.

Metamorphic importance???

What are you going to do with all that nuclear waste?
Why build cities where there are none?  Are you then going to force people to live in them?

Birth control is available but the Catholic church would rather have it's people die of AIDS than use birth control.  Also there is a movement in India teaching poor people NOT to use birth control because they believe it's a creation or gift from racists who don't want a world populated by brown skinned Indians.

Food is not entirely available to all but when good countries give food to starving populations it is often used as a weapon by corrupt leaders.

Quality affordable housing for everyone?  I'm all for it, just don't raise my taxes to do it.  How are you going to pay for it?

Meteor strikes?  Has anyone ever died from a meteor strike?  Taking action to prevent lightning strikes will have more of an effect.

What is a local life support system?  Air and atmospheric pressure are free, right?  Local energy production?  How?  Local energy storage?  How and why?

#4 2004-06-11 18:15:39

~Eternal~

'I am the MESSIAH.'

That out show em'.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#5 2004-06-11 19:11:17

FrankPoole

I’d have my speechwriter make it sound pretty, but my points are:

-Privatize Social Security and Medicare before we can’t afford to send ANYTHING into orbit.
-Decouple health insurance from employment and create a mandatory pay-in for coverage.
-Abolish sanctioned illegal immigration and deny all social services including health care to illegal immigrants. 
-Abolish the income tax, drive a wooden stake in the code, bury it under six feet and sprinkle holy water on the ground.
-Implement national sales tax.
-Make all savings tax deductible.
-$10K tax credit for every child a family has.  Maybe bigger bonuses for more than two or three children.
-Tax credit for parents who educate outside the public school system.
-Uphold federal restrictions on using embryonic stem cells and abolish federal funding.
-Tax credits for purchasing hybrid cars.
-Sell the space station to private investors.
-Trash the shuttle and don’t build a replacement.
-Tax credits for LEO rocket investors.
-Bonuses for private companies getting to Mars similar to the X-Prize.  Smaller cash awards for robotic expeditions, etc.  Keep NASA as a public utility for facilitating exploration (communications satellites around Mars, etc.)

#6 2004-06-11 23:37:10

MarsDog

Since USA rules Earth;
all are allowed to vote for the President of the World.

#7 2004-06-12 01:06:06

Trebuchet
Banned

Greetings, my fellow Americans. Perhaps you are wondering why I'm giving my inaugural address from Air Force One, and you would be correct to be confused, because actually I'm on the other Presidential plane, the National Emergency Airborne Command Post. The nukes are in the air and everything will be destroyed.

And on that note, allow me to present my plans for a post-apocalyptic America and our future foreign relations with mutant biker gangs...

#8 2004-06-12 08:21:15

Gennaro

As emperor of Europe, I'd say things to the following effect:

- Total transformation of energy sector into a nuclear and (possibly) ammonia based eceonomy, if the latest carbon conversion techniques isn't the real way to go.
No longer will we rely on global oil finance and crazy islamists to provide for our needs and growth.
Waste is no problem. Just bury it deep under the Scandics and similar locations.

- Launch of a brand new space program for continual manned expansion and to equal the precedence of US and others in space, keeping the door wide open for possible collaboration.
Including in order of priority:
Mars settlement and colonization process
Lunar prospecting and observatory
Asteroids

Smaller goals within the same time-frame:
L2 infermometers
A serious evaluation of orbital platform manufacturing
Europa ocean investigation mission

To meet the above objectives, call for the following hardware:
Superheavy expendable launcher to rival (or outperform) the Saturn 5
SSTO development, both for Terra and Mars use
Cycler ship development (preferrably GCNR)
Test and prove artificial gravity design

- Aggressive funding of fusion research.

- A unilateral refutation of existing nuclear use in space treatises. Our ships will be nuclear powered and energy sources off Earth will be primarily nuclear.
Our regime was not a signatory of said treatises and feel no obligation to be bound by them.

#9 2004-06-12 10:04:38

Dook
Banned

Balance the U.S. budget and begin paying down the U.S. national debt by:
-Increasing income tax 4% across the board.  In 3 years reduce this tax by 1%.  Keep it at that level until the debt is paid off.
-Increasing cigarette tax 15 cents
-Increasing alcohol tax 15 cents
-Implementing an efficiency program for the military.  Let unit commanders find ways to save and those who return money at the end of the fiscal year be given better marks on their fitness reports.
-Retire all B-52 aircraft-savings @ $1 billion a year
-Mothball one aircraft carrier battle group-savings @ $2 billion a year
-Bring all the army troops home from Germany-savings ?
-Slowly begin selling off the strategic oil reserves down to 200 million barrels-worth $17.6 billion

Let the automakers know that we are going to switch from gasoline powered vehicles to an all bio-diesel and hydrogen infrastructure.  Direct that all businesses that sell gasoline fuel shall also provide bio-diesel within 4 year time frame and hydrogen within 6 years.

Get the director of NASA together with my science advisor Robert Zubrin and talk about how we are going to implement Mars Direct within 7 years.

#10 2004-06-12 11:17:42

FrankPoole

-Increasing income tax 4% across the board.  In 3 years reduce this tax by 1%.  Keep it at that level until the debt is paid off.

Increase my income tax?  I don't think so. I'm taxed to death now and your 4% increase will go into a slush fund to service federal debt.

Your military savings are pocket change compared to entitlement expenditures.  Besides, the B-52 has been a pretty good return on our investment all these years.

#11 2004-06-12 12:38:06

Cobra Commander

Draft. Submit revisions for approval
Dictated, not read

My fellow Americans, I address you tonight regarding the issues we must all address in the coming years. As a nation and as a people we are fast approaching a pivotal moment not only in our history, but for all mankind. It is imperative that we act responsibly, yet we cannot sacrifice vision and progress for the sake of short-term expediency. To do so would be short sighted and unworthy of a great people.
Preceding Administrations have amassed a prodigous debt, and it is my intent to set us firmly on the course of eliminating it. That said, it would be wrong and irresponsible to pass that cost onto the people. To that end, I have issued directives that several cabinet level agencies be audited and disbanded beginning early next week. Those slated for elimination or significant downsizing include the Department of Education, Department of Energy, Health and Human Services, Agriculture, Industry and Labor, and HUD among others. The specific details will be released in the following days. Furthermore, It is my intent to eliminate the Federal income tax and with it the Internal Revenue Service. Both will be phased out over a four year period. It is high time the Federal government was put back in its proper place as delineated in our Constitution. I strongly urge the state governors to review their own internal affairs, too many states have grown dependent on federal funds, I tell you now that this cannot continue. Further, to restore a responsible money system I have taken steps to ensure the demise of the Federal Reserve system. Later this year the US mint will begin minting gold and silver coins in varying dollar amounts. While these are not expected to circulate widely, the familiar Federal Reserve note will be replaced with gold and silver certificates, redeemable at any bank. These certificates will be issued on a one for one basis in relation to the coins they stand in for.
Also of great concern is the Social Security program. I'm not going to lie to you, it's stretched thin and getting thinner. In a few years, it will likely break. It cannot survive in its present form, so I have opted to alter it rather than let it die. Those currently recieiving benefits will continue to do so. Those within five years of retirement have a choice to make, it is up to you whether you wish to remain in the system with a high probability of reduced benefits, or opt out with a single lump-sum payment equal to a small percentage of the current projected benefits. That sum is yours, you may invest it as you see fit. For the rest of the nation, you too have choices. We will privatize the Social Security program, investing those funds. You can choose one of several government investment plans, tailor one of your own, or opt out of the program entirely and do what you will with your money.
Many Americans don't agree with my positions or those of my party, but many more do, as does the Constitution. It is not the responsibility of the federal government of these United States to nanny its citizens. We are charged with their defense from aggression, the rest is up to them. That is what freedom is about, choice and responsibility, not a Big Brother who will attempt to solve every problem while creating more. The United States of America will remain the land of the free, the land of opportunity, and a shining beacon of hope to the world.
But if America is to remain great, we cannot confine ourselves to America. This morning I spoke to Dr. Robert Zubrin on the phone to offer him the job of heading up NASA's Mars program, which has been given high priority. it is our intent to establish a permanent presence on the red planet within the next four years using Dr. Zubrin's MarsDirect architecture, and to follow those missions with a concerted effort aimed at colonizing the planet Mars. I extend a hand of friendship to nations around the world, we invite you to join us in this great undertaking. In this time of war and division, it is my hope that we can work together for a better future for all humanity.
The course I have set for this nation is bold and not without controversy. Already the clouds of opposition are gathering. It is my hope that we can all see things in perspective and work toward the greater good rather than petty partisan politics. I look forward to working with the Congress over the coming months and years, and I am certain that we can reach an understanding. Thank you and good night.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#12 2004-06-12 16:59:35

Dook
Banned

Increase my income tax?  I don't think so. I'm taxed to death now and your 4% increase will go into a slush fund to service federal debt.

Your military savings are pocket change compared to entitlement expenditures.  Besides, the B-52 has been a pretty good return on our investment all these years.

14% of the income tax you pay now goes toward interest.  We haven't paid off any principal on the debt in over a 100 years.  What home money manager pays only the interest on their homes or credit cards each month?  None!  The reason, because it's stupid.  Now we can either continue being stupid or decide once and for all that it's time to be smart.  Also, since we can't balance the budget the debt is rising 2% every 1.5 years so that means the taxes you continue to pay are going less and less toward real programs.  4% is nothing for 3 years.  But if you would rather just pay interest maybe you should sit down and explain to your children that they will have to pay down the principal, at an increase of 25% of their income tax, or let the country go bankrupt. 

Yes, $2 billion here and there is pocket change compared to the debt but you cannot just raise taxes to pay off the national debt.  If the people are going to sacrifice then the military should sacrifice as well.  The best thing about any good investment is cashing out.  The B-52 has been pretty good but the B-2 and B-1 are better.  Notice every branch of the military has to sacrifice something in my plan.

#13 2004-06-12 17:06:41

Dook
Banned

-Abolish the income tax, drive a wooden stake in the code, bury it under six feet and sprinkle holy water on the ground.
-Implement national sales tax.
-Make all savings tax deductible.
-$10K tax credit for every child a family has.  Maybe bigger bonuses for more than two or three children.
-Tax credit for parents who educate outside the public school system.
-Uphold federal restrictions on using embryonic stem cells and abolish federal funding.
-Tax credits for purchasing hybrid cars.
-Sell the space station to private investors.
-Trash the shuttle and don’t build a replacement.
-Tax credits for LEO rocket investors.
-Bonuses for private companies getting to Mars similar to the X-Prize.  Smaller cash awards for robotic expeditions, etc.  Keep NASA as a public utility for facilitating exploration (communications satellites around Mars, etc.)

Sales taxes are regressive taxes-meaning, they hurt poor people more than the rich and there is no way sales tax can replace income tax.  Sales tax would have to be 100 times what it is now.

Tax benefits for savings? People saving too much is what caused the depression in the 1920's and increased the recession after 9/11.  Our economy depends on people spending money.  Why do you think President Bush told people to go about their business around the country just after 9/11?

Sure are a lot of tax credits.  How are you going to pay for them?  Increase taxes?

#14 2004-06-13 12:08:19

~Eternal~

My fellow Americans, I promise to fulfill the following in my office.
-Ban all civilian use of projectile weaponry based upon combustrion and projection of a lethal body into a human.

-Legalization of Abortion however being under strict Government Clinic control and have other alternatives promoted first.

-Eliminating the death penalty.

-Full support of the United Nations and initiatives toward a globalized economy and a confederation of nations.

-Creating an initiative for all U.S. coorporations to switch over to fuels other than those based upon hydrocarbons, and an initiatve to end all use of oil in the U.S. by 2040.

-Remove all tarriffs.

-Stabalize a national tax of 5% for Government from the people for the people(aka. Health Programs, Education, etc...)

-Decrease government spending.

-Reform wealth fare to be for only the elderly and disabled, and to provide health care to every citizen free of charge.

-Government control over postal services.

-No government handouts to industries and strict enviromental laws.

-Penalize businesses that use underhanded means to elimate competition.

-Restrict Nuclear Fission Power and diverse Government funding of Nuclear Power to Solar and Fusion power plants.

-Convert all roads to asphalt and set a national standard.

-Legalization of Marijuana and Non-addictive Mind-Altering drugs less harmful than Marijuana , and free rehabilatation for drug addicted citizens.

-Provision of work by the government for those with out jobs.

-Create an incentive for NASA to build a CEV based on the Shuttle HLLV.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#15 2004-06-13 12:24:41

John Creighton
Website

There seems to be a lot of different ideas, here. I‘ve noticed most people want to reduce the dependence on oil. I am surprised politicians don’t make it more of an issue. I probably shouldn’t take the discussion of course over one point, but I can’t help but say, I think pollutions spend too much money on roods. Make all roads asphalt? As opposed to gravel or concrete? Isn’t gravel cheaper and doesn’t concrete last longer. User what works. Of course in 50 years from now maybe roads will be really cheep to build.

#16 2004-06-13 12:47:10

Dook
Banned

My fellow Americans, I promise to fulfill the following in my office.
-Ban all civilian use of projectile weaponry based upon combustrion and projection of a lethal body into a human.

-Legalization of Abortion however being under strict Government Clinic control and have other alternatives promoted first.

-Eliminating the death penalty.

-Full support of the United Nations and initiatives toward a globalized economy and a confederation of nations.

-Creating an initiative for all U.S. coorporations to switch over to fuels other than those based upon hydrocarbons, and an initiatve to end all use of oil in the U.S. by 2040.

-Remove all tarriffs.

-Stabalize a national tax of 5% for Government from the people for the people(aka. Health Programs, Education, etc...)

-Decrease government spending.

-Reform wealth fare to be for only the elderly and disabled, and to provide health care to every citizen free of charge.

-Government control over postal services.

-No government handouts to industries and strict enviromental laws.

-Penalize businesses that use underhanded means to elimate competition.

-Restrict Nuclear Fission Power and diverse Government funding of Nuclear Power to Solar and Fusion power plants.

-Convert all roads to asphalt and set a national standard.

-Legalization of Marijuana and Non-addictive Mind-Altering drugs less harmful than Marijuana , and free rehabilatation for drug addicted citizens.

-Provision of work by the government for those with out jobs.

-Create an incentive for NASA to build a CEV based on the Shuttle HLLV.

The President can't ban guns, it's a right guaranteed by the constitution and supported by many Supreme Court decisions.

Abortion is already legal.

The US economy is already globalized.  How would a confederation of nations be different from the UN?  Maybe they could adopt the old confederate flag?

A 5% national tax would provide only 1/10th the income the government needs.

Decrease government spending by cutting what?

Reform welfare for only elderly and disabled?  Are you going to let jobless mothers with children become homeless and starve?  Free health care for all?  It would cost 100's of billions.  How are you going to pay for it?  Raise taxes? 

The postal service has always been a governmental service.

Convert all roads to asphalt?  Why?  How are you going to pay for it?  Raise taxes?

Free drug rehab?  How are you going to pay for it?  Raise taxes?

Incentive hell, as the President you just direct NASA to build a CEV.

#17 2004-06-13 14:38:49

~Eternal~

The President can't ban guns, it's a right guaranteed by the constitution and supported by many Supreme Court decisions.
-The thing is I'm not banning guns, I'm prohibiting those that use bullets wink.

Abortion is already legal.
-But its under clinic control.

The US economy is already globalized.  How would a confederation of nations be different from the UN?  Maybe they could adopt the old confederate flag?
-We don't have a global currency.

A 5% national tax would provide only 1/10th the income the government needs.
-The tax would apply to business and homes, business would be taxed variously.

Decrease government spending by cutting what?
-Reducing military by 25%.

Reform welfare for only elderly and disabled?  Are you going to let jobless mothers with children become homeless and starve?  Free health care for all?  It would cost 100's of billions.  How are you going to pay for it?  Raise taxes? 
-Have you ever heard of Canada?

The postal service has always been a governmental service.
-There is movements to privatize it.

Convert all roads to asphalt?  Why?  How are you going to pay for it?  Raise taxes?
Cement can't handle extreme loads, gravel tares up tires.

By the way, you've probably never been down a Southern dirt road have you?

Free drug rehab?  How are you going to pay for it?  Raise taxes?
Yep.
Incentive hell, as the President you just direct NASA to build a CEV.
Public Image, I'll tell em' to do it or lose their job but the public doesn't have to know that wink.

#18 2004-06-13 18:04:28

Gennaro

We don't want to be part of it.

Thanks,
Europe
:;):

#19 2004-06-13 20:26:09

~Eternal~

We'll give you Ur-238 for nuclear reactor if you give us swiss cheese.

#20 2004-06-13 21:25:03

Dook
Banned

Banning weapons that use bullets is a ban on guns.  It wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone in law enforcement and if it was it would be overturned in record pace by the Supreme Court.  Another way around your rule is to build a semi-automatic and call it a "Squirrel Gun".  Then it's purpose would be to fire a lethal body into an animal and not the fault of the manufacturer if someone used it on a human.

I don't understand your stance on abortion.  You want no clinic control or no governmental clinic control?

Essentially the currency of the United States is a global currency.  You can use American dollars almost anywhere in the world.  It's even preferred in some foreign countries because their money loses its value too quickly.  Many countries have set the value of their currency to the American dollar to keep it from losing it's value.

I don't understand your 5% tax applied to business and homes.  Is this in addition to the coorporate taxes and property taxes we have already?  If not, why change it?

The military could not operate with a 25% reduction in funding.  Ships would rust at the docks, airplanes wouldn't fly, people would not get trained.  It's an all volunteer force so you would lose everyone.  Many years of experience would be gone in an instant.

Could you give a more detailed explanation about how Canada provides welfare to the elderly and disabled but not to jobless women with children?

Cement can't handle extreme loads?  Hmm, I'm failing to see how this is causing problems but then I've never been down a southern dirt road.  And I'm not a truck driver so maybe I just don't see it.  Are goods not being shipped because of this?  Tires getting tore up?  You want to put people through years of aggravating road construction, spend 100's of billions, just so tires last a little longer?  I think it's a huge waste of money and resources for little benefit to the average person.  Now if you just want to lay an asphalt road where there was dirt or gravel before then I'm all for it but you are going to have to raise taxes to pay for it or steal the money from another program.

By directing NASA to build the CEV without informing and winning over the public and congress you would lose a lot of respect from NASA administrators and engineers.  They would see themselves as guinea pigs, about to do something that congress or the public may scoff at while you sit comfortable in the background waiting to see what happens.  If congress complains you could say publicly that you knew nothing about it.  The President is the leader of the free world.  Wouldn't you want to be a better leader than that?

#21 2004-06-14 01:51:26

Trebuchet
Banned

More seriously than my last post, were I President and possessed of a supermajority in Congress so that I could pass whatever laws I wanted, I'd crumple up the UN and throw it out of New York because it's turned into the Dictators' Club. I'd go through the tax code with a chainsaw and ram through a simple no-deductions flat tax, because the current tax code is an abomination of needless complexity and perversity. I would push for "B-767" bombers and large ground-effect transports for the military because, let's face it, we have air superiority everywhere we fight, bulking up the ability to move more stuff and drop lots more ordnance. I'd also mothball a bunch of overseas bases (what the hell are we doing in Germany, preventing the Soviet Army from invading? Sheesh.) and maybe authorize the MOBS concept if we have the funding (MOBS is basically a monstrously huge modular military base at sea, and if you built one or two the need for lots of the bases scattered around the globe becomes much less, as you can move the base where it's needed).

I'd essentially ignore the whole petroleum mess, because the market will sort that out eventually and I have bigger fish to fry.

I would make efforts to insure that Mexico's economy is booming, because the better off Mexico is, the less illegal immigration will be an issue.

I would make noises about legalizing drugs but dither endlessly on the issue until my term was up. (I'm honest)

I'd push for stem cell research and looser controls on genetic engineering, the former out of the belief that the embryos in question have already been condemned by the parents involved and thus are much like organ donors in that sense. Like Bush I think that destroying said embryos for harvesting stem cells is wrong, but let's face it, the parents are the ones to blame here. I'd make it illegal to create embryos for the sole purpose of harvesting stem cells, of course. My support for genetic engineering would be based on the fact that I believe it to be of great benefit to mankind... and that it will really really annoy the hell out of Europe, which is a plus. I'd push for 'freedom of genome' too - if someone wants to mess around with germline engineering, that's his problem, not the government's.

I'd actually not make a serious push for space. Heresy! But while I view Mars as critically important in the long run, I view setting a strong foundation on Earth even more important. Mars would be a 'term 2' thing.

Oh. I'd quietly take the ME nations aside and describe in great detail the terrible fate awaiting any country that dared hand terrorists a WMD, and not so quietly flatten any WMD projects in countries that I deem irresponsible (Iran's nuke project). If someone actually dares to hand off a WMD to some third party, hoping to escape retribution, the US response would be epic in scope (hopefully deterring future idiocy) even if the US wasn't the nation attacked with them, hell, even if Syria did something like nuke Pyongyang off the face of the earth (not that they would attack NK, of course) I'd rain nukes on Syria until it glowed in the dark bright enough to be seen by passing aliens.

I dislike terrorists.

#22 2004-06-14 03:05:34

Rxke

Always reassuring to read how people would gladly massacre a whole country of mainly innocent citizens that suffer under a dictatorial regime...

I dislike WMD, whoever uses them.

#23 2004-06-14 04:24:31

Trebuchet
Banned

The idea, dear Rxke, is that it isn't reassuring. It's terrifying. Which is kind of the point. Someone wants to play with fire, they might very well get burned. And a toasted corpse would be more than all the resolutions in the world in dissuading anyone from following the example of the toasted party.

#24 2004-06-14 04:53:06

Rxke

You mean more than 17 million toasted corpses, of wich the large majority has nothing whatsoever to do with terrorism.
Why don't you precision-bomb the (guilty) leaders to oblivion, sparing the civilians? Not good enough for prime time?

17 million corpses, of wich a good number has relatives living abroad. Al Quaida won't have to ask for new volunteers, they'll get inundated with hordes of *very* motivated revenge-seekers...

(EDIT:) It's not terrifying, it is asking for revenge, from everywhere you look...

#25 2004-06-14 06:19:41

Gennaro

We'll give you Ur-238 for nuclear reactor if you give us swiss cheese.

It's a deal! big_smile

Board footer