New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-06-12 23:04:40

Echus_Chasma
Website

Re: Chem. Rockets - Using Ozone with oxygen as an oxidizer.

Hey,

Would it be possible to add some ozone to the oxygen tanks to improve the hydrogen/oxygen reaction?
I assume it would be unfeasable to use completely O3 as its corrosive and expensive, but would it effective to mix some in with the oxygen?

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#2 2003-06-29 09:57:40

colonist

NASA tried ths in the early engines and discovered that the vibrations caused the ozone to decompose and release enough heat to cause the tank to rupture. Evven a few percent of ozone was found to pose an unacceptable risk.

#3 2003-09-08 23:23:14

space_psibrain

When leaving mars, one could use an aluminum/Co2 Engine, but Ozone is impractical and dangerous

"What you don't realize about peace, is that is cannot be achieved by yielding to an enemy. Rather, peace is something that must be fought for, and if it is necessary for a war to be fought to preserve the peace, then I would more than willingly give my life for the cause of peace."

#4 2003-09-22 01:14:55

MarsGuy2012
Banned

Another combo on Mars could be Silane/CO2 or (similar) Diborane/CO2.

Board footer