New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-04-03 22:15:05

Hop
Website

Re: Deimos and Mars synchronous satellites

I believe that Mars synchronous satellites will be very useful just as they are on earth. Communication, global positioning, and bean stalks are some possibilities.

A mining and manufacturing colony on Deimos would be in a very good position to make and launch Mars synchronous satellites.

Delta vee from Deimos to transfer: .0802 km/sec
Delta vee to circularize at end of transfer: .0491
For a total of only .1293 km/sec.

btw I've made some updates to my Hohmann spreadsheet.
It now includes apoapsis velocities of elliptical parking orbits as well as velocity of circular orbit at that altitude.

I got tired of looking up different altitudes and sometimes would mistakenly put in distance from planet center instead of altitude (they differ by planet's radius). So I put a table of often used altitudes near the cells were apo and periapsis are entered. The table includes altitudes of Phobos, Mars synchronous orbit, Deimos and others.  If you set your Mars parking orbit periapsis at Mars synchronous altitude and apoapsis at Deimos' altitude, Voila! you have a transfer orbit from Mars synchronous to Deimos.

Most of the sheet is protected so I won't inadvertently overwrite an important cell. But often would turn protection off to do calculations on the side. So I put in unprotected scratch pad areas. They're colored blue and to the right of the departure and destination planet info.

The new and hopefully improved sheet can be downloaded at
http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/Hohmann … ohmann.xls

Hop's [url=http://www.amazon.com/Conic-Sections-Celestial-Mechanics-Coloring/dp/1936037106]Orbital Mechanics Coloring Book[/url] - For kids from kindergarten to college.

Board footer