New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-10-20 20:52:16

TwinBeam

Re: Sonic diamond nano-notch rocket - Better than ion engines?

Propulsion system proposal - comments?

Imagine a V-shaped notch in a thin diamond layer - 100nm across at the top, 1000nm deep, with a drop of liquid hydrogen (or helium or other liquid) injected in the bottom 200nm.  Imagine that notch being closed at 12000m/s - the speed of sound in diamond.  The liquid hydrogen would be driven out at roughly 100km/sec - ~8x faster than the velocity the notch is closing.  (My choice of 100nm wide and 1000nm deep was rather arbitrary.  It might be possible to scale it up to handle a larger volume of reaction mass, or change the notch aspect ratio to get greater exhaust velocities.)

The notch would be closed by directing an intense pulse of sound through the diamond - compressing it very slightly.  If two pulses are (VERY!) precisely timed to meet at the notch, the closure time could be halved, doubling the exit velocity to around 200km/sec - roughly 5x the exhaust velocity of an ion engine.  (The timing precision required is probably too great to be practical - but there may be a way for a single pulse to do the job.)

This would use tiny amounts of reaction mass per pulse, but the notch could be made longer to increase the amount of reaction mass ejected in each pulse. 

It should be possible to set up a resonating sound wave with enough energy to do the required compression, and then feed in just enough power to replace energy lost to exhaust and heat.  If the pulse is injected from 1cm away, it might cycle at around 600khz, for example.

It might also be necessary to use an "anvil" approach - with the sound pulse injected into a thicker diamond that narrows down to the notch, concentrating energy into a smaller area.

This could be nuclear or beam powered.  I doubt it could ever be made to fly out of a gravity well, but for manned interplanetary exploration, where flight time is more critical than amount of energy expended, it might be useful.

#2 2004-10-20 22:03:05

Euler

Imagine a V-shaped notch in a thin diamond layer - 100nm across at the top, 1000nm deep, with a drop of liquid hydrogen (or helium or other liquid) injected in the bottom 200nm.

If all you need is a liquid, you should use something dense and non-cryogenic rather than hydrogen.

The notch would be closed by directing an intense pulse of sound through the diamond - compressing it very slightly.  If two pulses are (VERY!) precisely timed to meet at the notch, the closure time could be halved, doubling the exit velocity to around 200km/sec - roughly 5x the exhaust velocity of an ion engine.  (The timing precision required is probably too great to be practical - but there may be a way for a single pulse to do the job.)

In electric engines, since they are usually energy-limited rather than propellant-limited, higher isp/exhaust velocity is not always better.  The things you use to compare electric engines are efficiency, power density, reliability/durability, and what range of isp values it can throttle through.

If the diamond engine is efficient, reliable, able to use a lot of power for its size, and capable of operating at exhaust velocities lower than its maximum without loosing much efficiency, then it might be better than ion engines.  If it fails any of those requirements, then it probably will not be better.

#3 2004-10-21 08:01:24

GCNRevenger

Sounds awfully fragile to me, and I doubt you could achieve signifigant thrusts without a MASSIVE diamond pore plate.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#4 2004-10-25 10:53:44

Austin Stanley
Website

I don't know about fagile, but it would seem you would need a fairly large plate to achive a signifigant amount of thrust per blast.

How do you fill the wells back up with hydrogen after you blast it off, or is it a one shot only kind of deal?

He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense.

#5 2004-10-25 10:59:17

John Creighton
Website

Also for the same trust how does the weight compare to electric engines.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#6 2004-10-25 12:02:49

MarsDog

Taking to the extreme, the piezo electric inkjet printer fires ink droplets.
Similarly, a piezo effect on carbon nanotubes,
creating an atomic gun for helium atom bullets, held inside the barrel.
Nanotube miniature particle accelerator ?

#7 2004-10-25 14:32:17

ERRORIST