New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-08-20 22:28:48

Spider-Man
Banned
Website

Re: Nuclear Fusion - What it Help Us Go to Mars?

In Entering Space, Dr. Zubrin notes that viable nuclear fusion is right around the corner, and that if research programs had been given half the expense of a B-2 bomber a decade ago, we could easily have prototype fusion power reactors going up nationwide, and the crises of fossil fuels would already be turning into a thing of the past.  If a concerted effort were made to fund the advancement of nuclear fusion technology, and we could have true reactors and engines run by fusion power, what would it mean for Martian and other space exploration?

Would fusion help us go to Mars?

#2 2003-08-21 12:42:41

Free Spirit
Banned

Re: Nuclear Fusion - What it Help Us Go to Mars?

Since the fuel you need for a fusion reactor can be extracted from water it would probably be easier to produce fuel for it in-situ.  I wish I still had the link, but in the UK they've been experimenting with small fusion reactors and it appears that it might be easier to make fusion work in small reactors as opposed to very big ones.  That could be good news for spacefaring.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

Board footer