New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-07-01 09:09:14

Rxke

Re: The next step for private spaceflight - Thourough overview of current state

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5327529/#survey]Alan Boyle for msnbc

Great article, very balanced. Both pro's and con's get the chance to air their views...

Some very good points, both pro and con, too.

In other words: "Gentlemen-and women, start your keyboards, get ready, discuss,  go!" tongue

#2 2004-07-01 14:35:15

C M Edwards

Greason had a point.  For $1 million US, the cost of a single suit, you could buy an entire space suit factory.  Something seems wrong with that economic model...

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#3 2004-07-01 14:51:55

Rxke

That piqued my interest, too...

There's going to be a whole new sub-market for this kind of stuff.

I'm thinking about the German 'g-suits' for instance, but also design of parachutes, ejector seats etc...

#4 2004-07-04 16:16:14

Martian Republic

Although I support private venture in space, even with the fly at your own risk plan and the signing of that bill into law, I still don't see private enterprise doing anything in either the Tourist bussiness or much of anything else. Now if  a government contracts were added and/or a Kennedy type Tax exemption with a posible tax credit system to encurrage it. Then I might see some thing happening in space for the private sector. Like posibly only using the shuttle half the time to go the the International Space Station and use the Private flight that other half the time. That would give those private companies some thing to shoot for and have an on going business once they achive it.

Larry,

Board footer