New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-07 08:25:42

lmvdr
Banned

Re: information about the atmosphere on mars? - how are sun radiations filtered?

does anybody have information about the martian atmosphere in general and information about how the sun radiations are filtered through it? what about ultraviolet light?

i expect there are greater amounts of it, since the martian atmosphere is more thin than on earth, right? on the other hand the mars is more than 1.5 times distanced from sun than the earth...

are photovoltaik panels on mars more efficient than on earth?

excuse me for asking this elemantary stuff, but as you might see, i am just a (maybe upcoming) junior member.

thanx
lmvdr

ps: how does beagle 2 do? i really hope they can find it and make it work. it is very, very important for old europe.

#2 2004-01-07 17:25:23

Shaun Barrett

Re: information about the atmosphere on mars? - how are sun radiations filtered?

Hi Imvdr!
    I think that many of your questions about Mars would be answered by browsing through some of the topics here at New Mars. There's a wealth of information and some very interesting discussions in many of them.
    Another invaluable source of information in a very readable form is "The Case for Mars", a book by Dr. Robert Zubrin (with Richard Wagner). Dr. Zubrin, as you know, is the founder of The Mars Society and this website is associated with that organisation. The book is practically required reading for all space enthusiasts!
                                           smile

By the way, the UV levels on Mars are much higher than on Earth because Mars has no ozone layer to shield it. But the overall performance of photovoltaic panels is poorer because Mars, being further from the Sun, receives only about 43% of the solar energy we get here.
    Hope this helps!
                                              smile
[P.S. Welcome to New Mars, by the way!]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2004-01-07 18:18:14

lmvdr
Banned

hello shaun,

thank you for your answer. a few hours ago i stumbled at amazon about zubrin's book you've mentioned. unluckily it is not outselled in the german version at the moment. perhaps it should buy it in english so i would better unterstand the martian dialect here in the forum...anyway

since the mars has no ozone layer to destroy, why don't we equip the rovers with those v8 motors getting banned on earth at the moment? they would even emit less sound, because the martian atmosphere is so thin. wink

i'm sure that halliburton inc. will be pleased about the order to build a pipeline to mars...

getting more and more unserious
christoph

#4 2004-03-03 11:47:10

Yang Liwei Rocket

Thats why they think building underground is a better idea, plus most work may be done tunneling and try to find this frozen trapped ice, and other minerals

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#5 2004-03-04 10:23:06

GraemeSkinner
Website

since the mars has no ozone layer to destroy, why don't we equip the rovers with those v8 motors getting banned on earth at the moment? they would even emit less sound, because the martian atmosphere is so thin. wink

Hey I want to go to Mars NOW if I get to drive a V8 up there without worrying about the pollution it would kick out, I'd miss the sound of it though. big_smile

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#6 2004-03-04 12:15:32

Rxke

I just started a topic on 'SUV's on Mars'... Maybe you could drive one, some time...

[http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3459]in Planetary Transportation

#7 2004-04-02 03:49:57

MarsDog

The dust in the Martian atmosphere might be poisonous; similar to the Sahara sandstorms distributing mercury to the coral reefs.

Board footer