New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-04 08:21:23

GraemeSkinner
Website

Re: Coverage Significant Findings - Bit of a rant...

Considering NASA said they were going to make public significant findings about Mars, what did you think of the coverage the announcement received? I know a lot of people have doubts about if it was really an important announcement to make - but come on it was confirming a lot of past speculation. A scientific theory is just that until its proven - a theory. I consider the water announcement to have been big enough in my eyes to warrant a good coverage on the TV. I don't know what coverage other countries got but here in the UK, I watched the start of the announcement live on FOX, they cut away after a couple of minutes so I changed to CNN, they also cut away, it was only after flipping through say another 10 news channels that I found it on Sky news, tucked away on an interactive screen.
When headlines normally cover celebrity misshaps and affairs - don't you think they could have given reasonable coverage to a subject that probably interests thousands of people in this country alone?
If water is not big enough news for the media to give live coverage to, what do you think is....
A little bug-eyed monster popping up to opportunity and giving its lens a wipe perhaps big_smile

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#2 2004-03-05 14:37:52

dickbill

hmmm, could be better, could be worst. There are the martian diaries sometimes on CNN, nicely done.
I wish to have the C-span reports of the rover like before, but I always miss them, or they disapeared ?
All in all, at least there are some reports in the US media, but less that I would like.

What about Mars express, is there any TV coverage in the european channels ?

#3 2004-03-05 14:43:38

GraemeSkinner
Website

We had loads of coverage of Beagle in the end of December '03 and into January '04, but have hardly seen any mention of Mars Express. Quite a shame really, like I say too much 'junk news' on celebs, but nothing that grabs my attention. We used to have a half decent science channel that covered science news but that fallen by the wayside.

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#4 2004-05-06 06:23:04

Palomar

We had loads of coverage of Beagle in the end of December '03 and into January '04, but have hardly seen any mention of Mars Express. Quite a shame really, like I say too much 'junk news' on celebs, but nothing that grabs my attention. We used to have a half decent science channel that covered science news but that fallen by the wayside.

*I was thinking about Mars Express earlier today, and then happened to see this thread.  I never see any mention of ME in the American news channels (TV or internet).  But the thing is, I don't see much about it at European/other 'net sites either. 

I've gone digging for photos and updates from ESA's web site; that's about the only place I can find latest images and etc. from ME, but maybe it's just me...ESA doesn't seem as aggressive about publicity for ME as I'd thought it would be.  Could be a cultural difference at play...  ::shrugs:: 

Not surprised to hear about your "a half decent science channel that covered science news but that fallen by the wayside" though, only because formerly very good TV channels in the U.S. like "Discover" and "A & E" are now full of reality-TV-esque crap such as remodeling homes, interior decoration, repairing motorcycles, etc.  "Discover" especially used to be nearly 100% devoted to the sciences (not domestic repair and redecorate).  The dumbing down of America continues...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2004-05-08 06:34:20

Palomar

*Going back to this particular topic, I checked NASA's web page pertaining to items from Mars Express.  It hasn't 1 new updated image or etc. since January!  sad 

ESA's official web site fares only slightly better.  Perhaps I'm not hunting adequately (as if one should "have to" go on a hunt for ME releases at ESA's site), but I see just a scant amount of new pics...basically the Olympus Mons caldera (?), pics released a week or so ago. 

I'll presume ME is snapping pics daily, or at least a handful of times per week.  I'm really disappointed at the lack of information flow!  ME's photos are so stunning and crisp. 

If anyone knows of a source for frequently updated ME stuff, please post it.  I check a handful of space-related web sites daily.  [I see a lot of images coming back from MOC, the MERs of course, etc.]

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer