New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-05-05 13:38:51

Hop
Website

Re: Marsis to probe for subsurface water

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/express/spotli … 50504.html

This is very exciting to me. There is little doubt that there is frozen water on Mars. But permafrost is a difficult rock to work with.

There's some evidence of Martian volcanic activity in the recent (geologically speaking) past. I believe it likely there is liquid water near the surface of Mars.

If the Marsis antenna does find near surface liquid water, this will be very valuable information.

Hop's [url=http://www.amazon.com/Conic-Sections-Celestial-Mechanics-Coloring/dp/1936037106]Orbital Mechanics Coloring Book[/url] - For kids from kindergarten to college.

#2 2005-05-06 04:35:00

Shaun Barrett

Hop:-

There's some evidence of Martian volcanic activity in the recent (geologically speaking) past. I believe it likely there is liquid water near the surface of Mars.

Yes. I think Mars is more volcanically active than it's given credit for. And I wouldn't be surprised if liquid water still exists in large near-surface aquifers, too.
    I find it very exciting, m

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2005-05-06 05:52:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

Much about this radar has been mentioned under the Mars express thread but ok it would seem that the first boom is out to be followed by others. Not to mention it did not kill itself from whipping as the simulator had indicated.

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7751425/] Radar readied to search for Martian water;
Mars Express orbiter reportedly releases first boom[/url]

#4 2005-05-06 12:39:57

Hop
Website

Much about this radar has been mentioned under the Mars express thread but ok it would seem that the first boom is out to be followed by others. Not to mention it did not kill itself from whipping as the simulator had indicated.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7751425/] Radar readied to search for Martian water;
Mars Express orbiter reportedly releases first boom

(looking in the Unmanned Probes topic...)  I see your April 29 post but don't have time right now to read the entire 10 page thread.
The Marsis antenna is only 1.8 kilograms. Seems like it'd be worthwhile to use something like it to probe the moon. Or asteroids & comets for that matter. We'll have to wait and see if it unfolds without a hitch.

The Oberg article is good. Thanks for the link.

Hop's [url=http://www.amazon.com/Conic-Sections-Celestial-Mechanics-Coloring/dp/1936037106]Orbital Mechanics Coloring Book[/url] - For kids from kindergarten to college.

#5 2005-05-06 17:44:40

Shaun Barrett

Excellent!
    So far so good.  smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2005-05-06 20:04:57

SpaceNut
Administrator

The problem with the antenna array was its long length. I think 30 feet or something like that, which when it was to extend would whiplash about, but it appears that the fear was unfounded.
I hope it finds lots of sub surface deep pocket of water and soon. big_smile

#7 2005-05-07 02:55:23

Rxke

Yay Yay Yay!

At looooooooooooong last!

Shaun: Aquefiers, aghalaglglgggll! *drool*

big_smile

#8 2005-05-07 17:41:38

Shaun Barrett

Rik:-

Shaun: Aquefiers, aghalaglglgggll! *drool*

:laugh:  Ha-ha!!
    Don't get me started. I keep having to change my shirt!  big_smile

#9 2005-05-09 13:20:08

SpaceNut
Administrator

It appears that one of the segments did not fully deploy on the antenna as hoped it would.
Delay hits Mars radar deployment
or from Space.com
I guess we will be a wait and see mode for a while at least.

Board footer