New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-02-12 13:25:49

Bill White

Re: Aloha Mars? - Dr. Bell strikes again

Dr Jeffrey Bell, of Beagle 2 criticism fame, has written another [http://www.spacedaily.com/news/mars-mers-04zza.html]interesting article.

He claims Gusev Crater may have been a dry lake bed once but it has since been covered over by basalt volcanic flows.
He also says every rock we find on Mars will have an analog on Hawaii.

"The Aloha Mars Hypothesis says that every place on Mars has an analog somewhere in Hawaii. If you know Hawaii, Mars is an open book to you."

#2 2004-02-12 14:16:19

clark

Favortie quote from the article,

"They will pay 4-star hotel rates to sleep in a simulated Mars base that smells like old socks. Real Mars scientists will give guest lectures for hefty fees. It will be a lot like Bob Zubrin's project in Canada, except for the profits."

LOL!  :laugh:

#3 2004-02-12 15:10:55

Rxke

if Honourable scientist bell is too chicken to name scientists by their real names, it's easy to claim the things he's saying.

BTW 'his' Aloha idea is far from new, read it years before, the guy is just craving for a bit of attention.

I found the article while browsing SpaceDaily, started reading it, and while it might contain interesting bits, the guy is just a Troll: taking nice soundbites from other people, using some 'controversial' ideas ...

I got bored before reaching the end of the article, it's pure whiz-bang-hey-read-me-i'm-a-smart-ass... stuff.

Another idiot that found the 'net as a perfect place to act stupid, make a fool of himself. He might be a scientist, but that doesn't make him wize...

#4 2004-02-12 15:16:50

Palomar

...the guy is just a Troll: taking nice soundbites from other people, using some 'controversial' ideas ...

I got bored before reaching the end of the article, it's pure whiz-bang-hey-read-me-i'm-a-smart-ass... stuff.

Another idiot that found the 'net as a perfect place to act stupid, make a fool of himself. He might be a scientist, but that doesn't make him wize...

*Wooo-hooo!  Give me a "High Five," Rik! 

::hands slap::

I couldn't agree with you more.  smile 

You have a way with words. 

--Cindy

P.S.:  Of course, the more attention he gets, the more he "wins."  I'm all for putting him in the PIF (Permanent Ignore File).

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer