New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-04-19 17:37:02

cuhhriss

Re: I am doing a project and i need help please - Oxygen/Carbon Dioxide

hey im doing a project on making a base up on mars and my part of the project is that i have to find out on how to bring air up on mars and getting the poisonus co2 gas out. Im suppose to write a 3-5 page essay on this but i have no clue on what to do sad . So right now i told my teacher that im going to plant alot of trees, so the trees can give us air to breathe in and the trees can also remove the co2. My teacher says well how am i going to plant this? and i replied saying we can use night-soil (our own solid waste) Teacher says that we cant because maybe there are bacterias that can kill the plant. So now i have nothing on how to get Oxygen on mars and Carbon dioxide off.  This essay is due friday and i really need some help and good sources. So far this is my essay

My part of the Mars project is bringing oxygen to mars. Finding out on how to bring oxygen up to mars and how to make the oxygen stay up for a long period of time. The air on mars isn’t breathable and it is mostly carbon dioxide. Mars has 95.32% CO2, 2.7% N2 (nitrogen), and 1.6% Ar (argon), 0.13% O2 (oxygen), 0.07% CO (carbon monoxide), and 0.03% H2O, and that’s a challenge.
    The first thing that I’m going to talk about is on how we will get air on mars. Mars air isn’t breathable and it is mostly carbon dioxide.  We can use the ice on mars to make oxygen; the liquid water can be split into hydrogen and oxygen gas using electricity made by the sunlight’s solar panels.  The oxygen made by this process can be used for the astronauts living on mars. This theory is from a website.
    My theory is that we can bring, tree seeds, some fertilizer, good soil, and small trees up to mars. We can use our own waste to plant the trees, this is possible. In china people use their own waste such as urine and solid human waste to farm their crops. By planting the trees we can have a green room connected to our base and this way we can have air. This is also very good because the trees can suck up all the carbon dioxide. To be exact we can have about 2-3 green rooms up in mars so we can get the more oxygen and get the carbon dioxide sucked up faster.

I am only in 8th grade and this project is worth like 2-3 hundred points

please Email me back or post on this forum
cuhhriss@yahoo.com <- my email
cuhhriss@hotmail.com <- my msn
taiwanese x 69 <- my aim

thanks

#2 2005-04-19 18:00:02

Fledi

There is a good thread about air production at
Human Missions -> The Air we need to breathe

They deal with things like freezing the CO2 out of the rest.

#3 2005-04-19 18:14:49

reddragon
Banned

You should also talk about the fact that the Martian atmosphere not only doesn't have the same composition as Earth's but is also a lot thinner, that is the pressure is a lot lower--too low for humans to survive in. I'm not sure if you're talking about providing oxygen for an enclosed base or terraforming the planet so it has an oxygen atmosphere. If you're talking about a base, using plants to convert CO2 back into O2 certainly makes sense. If you're talking about terraforming, you will first need to make the environment habitable even for trees. Right now it's too cold and the atmospheric pressure is too low. You would need to warm the planet, which would also add H2O and CO2 to the atmosphere. Bacteria or other simple life forms might then be the best things to introduce first.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
              by Douglas Adams

#4 2005-04-19 18:15:29

cuhhriss

Thanks alot

#5 2005-04-19 18:16:51

cuhhriss

Ohh this is for a base.

Board footer