New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-01-19 23:01:17

Echus_Chasma
Website

Re: The X-Prize - Could MS go for this?

I was watching a discovery programme about rockets and I was wondering, Would we be able to go for the X-prize.

The X-prize is $10 mil to the first private group to put a craft into space with 3 people in it.

Would it be too difficult?
It would be good advertising for a Mars Mission and $10 mil would be quite nice...

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#2 2003-01-30 05:52:33

Deimos

I would not think the Mars Society would go for something like that.. I agree with you that it is a great oppertunity to get some PR for us but it requires a good ammount of capital to construct a space-faring vehicle.  To put things in perspective, the American X-15 cost roughly $300 million.  Yes, some of that was research money but it would still not be cheap unless we could find an aerospace corporation willing to donate a vehicle..

#3 2003-01-30 16:55:18

Mark S
Banned

The X-Prize is not a break-even proposition.  The estimated cost of building a vehicle and winning the prize is around $20 million.  The reward for winning the X-Prize, however, is the space tourism market, which will be opened once the prize is in hand.  As lucrative as that is, it doesn't apply to the Mars Society.  Although I'm sure that a large number of MS members support space tourism, space tourism doesn't do much for bringing us closer to Mars.

"I'm not much of a 'hands-on' evil scientist."--Dr. Evil, "Goldmember"

#4 2003-09-20 04:53:53

alokmohan

If X prize is given after space tourism starts,how long may we wait?any idea?

Board footer