New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-12-08 01:30:48

Phobos

Re: MS Mars Station gets telescope

It appears Celestron is going to donate a big 11" telescope to the Mars Society to use in their projects.  I've always supported the idea of taking a telescope to Mars so we can peer back on Earth to see what it looks like from that distance just for curiosity's sake.  I hope when they do actually go to Mars they take a telescope.  What features of Earth would be visible through that scope?  I imagine the major continents and the icecaps would show up well.  Perhaps cloud cover would to.  Considering the size of the moon it might be interesting to see it side by side with the Earth.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#2 2002-12-08 06:38:12

Shaun Barrett

You know, Phobos, in all the fuss of thinking about exploring Mars, it never really occurred to me to take a telescope when we go!
    I guess I was being conservative about weight and thought anything other than the essentials would have to be excluded.

But, considering the impact those images of Earth taken from lunar orbit had on the human psyche back in the sixties, I have to agree with you that taking a telescope is a great idea and should be encouraged.

Many thanks, Celestron, for your generous and far-sighted donation to our society. It is very much appreciated.
                                        smile

Any Mars Society members out there considering the purchase of a telescope, should give preference to Celestron products as a mark of solidarity with a forward-thinking company.
    If they are willing to scratch our backs, I think we in turn ought to be willing to scratch theirs!

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2002-12-08 08:11:00

Palomar

Any Mars Society members out there considering the purchase of a telescope, should give preference to Celestron products as a mark of solidarity with a forward-thinking company.
    If they are willing to scratch our backs, I think we in turn ought to be willing to scratch theirs!

*I'll 2nd that.  Celestron is a top-notch, quality company.  I say if they're happy to give the Mars Society some recognition, the favor should definitely be returned.  smile

Hopefully Celestron's gift will stir up some jealous competitiveness by Meade and Edmund Scientific, and they'll make a contribution too. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2002-12-11 16:13:00

CalTech2010

Can any of you guys recommend a particular Celestron model?

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

#5 2002-12-11 16:26:36

soph

i have one, havent used it in a while.  stargazing in new york is something of a futile venture  ???

#6 2002-12-13 15:49:35

CalTech2010

What model was it?

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

#7 2002-12-14 02:37:32

Phobos

If you get a telescope get the biggest aperture you can afford.  I bought a huge 8" aperture beast even though it's not a Celestron.

#8 2002-12-14 18:09:49

CalTech2010

What objects do you primarily look at?  (Besides Mars big_smile )

Does the bigger aperture help your view with everything, or just planets or deep sky?

#9 2002-12-14 19:58:18

Phobos

The bigger aperture helps with everything.  It allows the scope to collect more light which is what is important since you can't magnify an object unless you've got the light.  Definately stay away from scopes that advertise themselves by magnifying power.

#10 2002-12-17 16:00:21

CalTech2010

Should you worry about diameter when you are shopping for one?  Diameter determines collecting area, right?  Maybe I'm wrong.  I'll keep the apeture thing in mind though.

#11 2002-12-17 17:38:18

Palomar

It appears Celestron is going to donate a big 11" telescope to the Mars Society to use in their projects.

*More than "just" the telescope; taking it a few steps further...[anonymous MS member provides funding for observatory]  smile

http://www.marssociety.org/news/2002/1205.asp

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer