New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-05-13 11:29:53

loststation
Banned

Re: I WANT - MARS

I want to go on mars ! what can I do!

#2 2003-05-13 11:39:27

Byron

Build yourself a rocket that will take you there  big_smile  tongue  :laugh:  tongue

B

#3 2003-05-13 11:51:18

loststation
Banned

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :angry:

#4 2003-05-13 14:38:30

Josh Cryer

Join the Mars Society! Work with your local chapter, or if you don't have one, create one! Volunteer, if you have the time, for Mars Society activities! If you're in a democracy, write your representatives!

smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#5 2003-05-13 14:39:54

Josh Cryer

Ahh, you're from Turkey, welcome aboard, I think you're the first person from Turkey here. smile

I'm not sure if there's a Turkey based Mars Society chapter, but if there isn't, please join and make one!

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#6 2003-05-13 14:56:22

clark

Ahh, you're from Turkey, welcome aboard, I think you're the first person from Turkey here.

The first person from Turkey here, but not neccessarily the first turkey here.   big_smile  tongue

#7 2003-05-13 15:24:06

nirgal
Banned

lol big_smile

#8 2003-05-15 10:30:48

loststation
Banned

I am a student in the san francisco state unv.but I m in Turkey at the moment. But realy I want to go on Mars
I can go as a subject on the mars. (in fact I cant speak english!)  big_smile  big_smile

Nothing is not impossible!

#9 2003-05-15 10:38:38

clark

Why do you want to go to Mars?

#10 2003-05-16 13:49:30

loststation
Banned

if I dead,I want to dead on the Mars because different place.
and I belive at life on Mars!

#11 2003-07-25 18:41:31

space_psibrain

mars...a world that has inspired so many myths and legends...a world of hope, and a world of mystery

"What you don't realize about peace, is that is cannot be achieved by yielding to an enemy. Rather, peace is something that must be fought for, and if it is necessary for a war to be fought to preserve the peace, then I would more than willingly give my life for the cause of peace."

#12 2003-08-25 00:47:57

Echus_Chasma
Website

Nothing is not impossible!

LMAO....

Sorry, it just cracked me up.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#13 2003-08-25 05:42:47

Byron

This reminds me...did anyone on this board attend this year's Mars Society Conference in Eugene, Oregon? 

If so, how was it?  Learn anything new, etc?

Let's hope the next M.S. conference will be in my neck of the woods, like Florida...  :;):

B

#14 2003-08-25 06:30:38

Shaun Barrett

No!   sad

I sort of had my sights set on Eugene but circumstances didn't allow it.
    I'd be interested to hear where the next conference is being held because my wife has practically promised me I can go to that one! [I get to attend the seminars; she gets to attend the department stores!]

All you single guys out there, running around after women, just remember this: What with one thing and another, women are expensive items!! And don't let anyone tell you different ... especially if it's a woman!
                                            :laugh:

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#15 2003-08-25 10:14:40

Palomar

No!   sad

I sort of had my sights set on Eugene but circumstances didn't allow it.
    I'd be interested to hear where the next conference is being held because my wife has practically promised me I can go to that one! [I get to attend the seminars; she gets to attend the department stores!]

All you single guys out there, running around after women, just remember this: What with one thing and another, women are expensive items!! And don't let anyone tell you different ... especially if it's a woman!
                                            :laugh:

*Ha ha ha ha ha ha.  Oh, the things I could say.  No one believes there is such a thing as a self-made woman.  That's enough said.  smile

I didn't get to the Eugene conference.  I would like to attend a MS conference, but my husband isn't interested in attending with me and I really am reluctant to travel without him (he has epilepsy).  I doubt I'll ever get to one.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#16 2003-08-25 17:47:10

Shaun Barrett

It's too bad about the epilepsy .. what a drag.
    But then, it's entirely irrelevant whether or not your husband is interested in going to a Mars conference! I don't remember ever declaring I was interested in going shopping with my wife! Nevertheless, I've often found myself trailing around shopping malls with a glazed expression on my face.
    Whatever happened to the gentle art of persuasion and the power of feminine wiles? Or is all that stuff politically incorrect these days? (Doesn't seem to be the case in our household, I've noticed! )
                                        yikes

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#17 2003-08-25 18:54:31

Palomar

It's too bad about the epilepsy .. what a drag.
    But then, it's entirely irrelevant whether or not your husband is interested in going to a Mars conference! I don't remember ever declaring I was interested in going shopping with my wife! Nevertheless, I've often found myself trailing around shopping malls with a glazed expression on my face.
    Whatever happened to the gentle art of persuasion and the power of feminine wiles? Or is all that stuff politically incorrect these days? (Doesn't seem to be the case in our household, I've noticed! )
                                        yikes

*Actually (in attempting to answer your questions regarding feminine wiles in particular)...I wouldn't know.  I'm a very straightforward "what you see is what you get" person.  Always in my dating life and now in married life I have not asked a man to do for me what I could not/cannot do for myself, nor have I ever asked a man to buy me gifts, take me to dinner, etc.; any favors received have been/are reciprocated. 

I also don't like to shop.  Believe it or not.  My sister and mother used to drive me NUTS in the clothing and department stores...every item of clothing, rack by rack...UGH!; and it's always my husband dragging me into them, not the other way around.  smile  Strange, I know.  With clothing and housewares I go in, get what I need, and get out. 

I can't tolerate spending more than 10 minutes on hair and makeup, even though I'm often complimented on my looks.  I went to Iowa for a visit to kinfolk in 1997; I stayed for 1-1/2 weeks.  All of my stuff was rolled military-style into one (1) duffle bag; that's it.  My sister was amazed I could "survive" on one (1) duffle bag full of stuff for 1-1/2 weeks.

I do like grocery shopping and bookstores...but I don't hang around in them for hours on end.

I've been told by women that I'm "not like most women."  I'm just me.  smile

And we're getting way off topic.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#18 2003-08-25 23:55:00

Shaun Barrett

Oops!  Just goes to show how far wrong you can go on generalisations, especially about people!
    I guess I was just trying to help get you to the next Mars conference - I haven't forgotten who's supposed to be buying the donuts ...
                                       tongue

#19 2003-08-26 06:31:07

Byron

That's too bad, Cindy, to hear that you may never make it to a M.S. conference.  Would you be able to go if it was, let's say, a half-day's drive of your location (somewhere in NM, right?)  Does your husband's condition prohibit him going on long trips, or he just doesn't want to be in the same room with other Mars nuts? lol...

As for me, I'll go to the one next year if they choose to have it in the Southeast (which they really need to do, as it's been heavily biased towards the western states ever since the founding conference.)  It'd make great sense to have it in Orlando or near the Space Center (!)...but I'm not getting my hopes up.  Hopefully they'll decide soon, just so we'll know.

The website says it will return to Boulder for 2005...I might end up going back there if I don't go in '04...I have to admit that was a spectacular place to visit... :;):

B

#20 2003-08-26 06:37:14

Byron

I guess I was just trying to help get you to the next Mars conference - I haven't forgotten who's supposed to be buying the donuts ...

Actually, you don't have to worry about the doughnuts -or- the coffee, as they provide all of that each morning for all the attendees...   big_smile

It would be cool to get some of us from this board together at a conference...any conference, really...lol  smile

B

#21 2003-08-26 06:49:14

Palomar

That's too bad, Cindy, to hear that you may never make it to a M.S. conference.  Would you be able to go if it was, let's say, a half-day's drive of your location (somewhere in NM, right?)  Does your husband's condition prohibit him going on long trips, or he just doesn't want to be in the same room with other Mars nuts? lol...

As for me, I'll go to the one next year if they choose to have it in the Southeast (which they really need to do, as it's been heavily biased towards the western states ever since the founding conference.)  It'd make great sense to have it in Orlando or near the Space Center (!)...but I'm not getting my hopes up.  Hopefully they'll decide soon, just so we'll know.

The website says it will return to Boulder for 2005...I might end up going back there if I don't go in '04...I have to admit that was a spectacular place to visit... :;):

B

*Hi Byron.  My husband can take short trips; Boulder, Colorado would be fine (it's not "right nextdoor" to Las Cruces, New Mexico -- our city -- but Boulder is a heckuva lot closer than Eugene OR)...but he's simply not interested in Mars exploration, etc.  He thinks settling, much less colonizing, another planet is a nearly impossible, and akin to a "pipe dream" of sorts.  I can't leave him home all alone, obviously, in the event he has a seizure.

Yeah, the convention should be located in different areas of the nation...perhaps even have a few international ones as well.

--Cindy

#22 2003-08-26 07:32:01

Byron

At least you be assured that you're not alone...my parents have said the same thing...at least until they've started reading my book...lol (they still wouldn't dream of going to that 'horrible' place though... yikes  )  If only people could understand....if only, if only....

Anyhow, I've been checking the left-hand column of the M.S. website, it seems the past conferences have been held in: (in order of appearance) Boulder, Boulder, Toronto, Stanford, Boulder, Eugene.   The 3rd European M.S. conference is being held next month in Bremen. 

If anyone in the decision-making body of the M.S. is reading this, here's a proposed list of places that I think would be ideal for future conferences:  Orlando / Cocoa Beach, FL (near NASA / Space Center), In or near Pasadena Calif., (JPL Labs), Boston, Mass. (major locus of universities), Chapel Hill, NC (open-minded setting, adjacent to many universities), Madison, Wisconsin (b/c it's a danged cool town), and of course, Washington, D.C., so the pols will take notice of us, and my sister lives there too, so I don't have to get a hotel...   big_smile  tongue

B

#23 2003-08-26 07:47:47

Shaun Barrett

They all sound good to me ... I've got to cross a large pond to get to the good ol' U.S. of A. anyhow!

But I suppose Pasadena is better for Cindy(? ). Are there any good 'Marsy' or 'spacey' attractions in Phoenix?   ???

#24 2003-08-26 09:42:23

RobertDyck
Website

I was at this year's conference, and last. I flew last year, but drove this year. It's 2,950km from Winnipeg to Eugene, each way. Finances prevented me from attending the conferences at Stanford and Toronto. My friends thought I was nuts for not attending in Toronto, but I just couldn't afford it then. I wish I could have attended the founding conference, but I hadn't heard of it yet. Let's see, in 1998 I was still in Canada; it was August 1999 that I was in Miami, Florida.

A local member wanted to bid to host the 2004 conference in Winnipeg. Getting the required information to form a bid was a little difficult, but I eventually did get a steering committee member to provide what we needed. Didn't have time to prepare a slick multimedia presentation, though; or get my presentation added to the steering committee agenda. I was told that the Mars Society does not want to hold another conference in Canada so soon after the Toronto conference. I thought we had a good bid: the Winnipeg member who wanted to host it organizes several conventions per year, and is the chair of a science fiction convention called Worldcon 2005. He is one of the organizers for TorCon3 in Toronto this year. Winnipeg is centrally located, equally distant from the East and West cost, just 60 miles north of North Dakota. It has a major international airport with Northwest Airlines and Air Canada flying directly into it. Northwest is an American airline, and Air Canada is partnered with American Airlines and US Airlines. Winnipeg also has another airport for private aircraft. Driving is just I-29 straight north to the boarder, then the highway changes its name to Manitoba Highway 75 straight into Winnipeg. Winnipeg is a major convention centre for Canada; the federal political parties always hold their leadership conventions here. Facilities can accommodate several conventions the size of the Mars Society. The Winnipeg Convention Centre has Oktoberfest each year, which has 8,000 people on the 3rd floor alone. Real estate is cheap here, which means hotel rooms are cheap; I'm not sure but I believe the convention rate for the hotel we were talking to is $89 Canadian per night. Most importantly, the convention organizer would bring his entire organization; every year they run a science fiction/fantasy convention the size of the Mars Society's convention. I could go on about how great Winnipeg is, but you get the idea. Maybe we'll bid another year.

If you want a convention in your home state, you can't just hope someone will do it. You have to "take the bull by the horns" and prepare to run it yourself. See if your chapter has the personnel to run a convention and pull together the financial details to do it. Then prepare a bid to present at the steering committee meeting. Make sure you attend at least one convention first so you can see how it?s done. The steering committee meetings are at the convention itself. They used to hear bids for the following year's convention, but they made a decision to hear bids for two years in advance. That means next year they will year bids for the 2006 convention.

Bottom line; don't just hope "someone" will do it. If you want it done, then do it yourself.

#25 2003-08-26 09:45:45

Palomar

Are there any good 'Marsy' or 'spacey' attractions in Phoenix?   ???

*Not sure about Phoenix, and unaware of any space-related attractions (was last there in 1982, and then only once).

What about Nashville, Tennessee?  I don't know about any Mars/space-related attractions, but there's a lot of culture and music history there (understatement)...entertainment options galore.  smile 

--Cindy

Board footer