New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-03-18 22:51:16

Echus_Chasma
Website

Re: The Case for Orion. - Article submittal.

Um, isn't that already in the Human Missions thread?

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#2 2003-04-14 16:54:09

malfunkshun
Banned

I agree, Orion is a very interesting concept, but I never envisioned it as an earth to orbit vehicle, but an interplanetary one.  The concept of using a ship propelled by nuclear blasts in order to reach space is ludicrous.  By that I mean... it would never EVER be accepted and implemented.  However, the ONE Orion launch you suggested may be feasible, if you could load it up with enough cargo to build an entire space station, plus a few more Orions.  Fallout would not be a problem in space.

"Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there." -- Randy Clagget, Commander, Apollo 18

#3 2003-04-15 11:07:59

malfunkshun
Banned

First of all, I'm the first one to jump up and say 'Lets build and launch an Orion!'  I don't mean for my comments to be dissected and rebutted as though I were one of these ignorant fraidy cats who are scared of a little nuclear creativity.

I don't mean its ludicrous in principle or practice, only ludicrous in a PR sense.  It just ain't gonna happen, not right away, and definitely not while groups like Greenpeace and extreme leftists have any lobbying power.  I mean... if people are going to raise a stink about Cassini because it has a nuclear power source, they DAMN sure will raise a major sh*t storm about having nukes detonated on the planet to launch a spacecraft.  Sorry, thats just the way it is for now.   

However, I for one am all for Orion.  If by some chance a miracle occurs and this thing ever really gets built (I still think building the thing in orbit and then launching it would be WAY more feasable in a PR sense) ... bring on the nuclear put put boat!

"Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there." -- Randy Clagget, Commander, Apollo 18

Board footer