New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: We've recently made changes to our user database and have removed inactive and spam users. If you can not login, please re-register.

#126 2018-10-03 19:37:48

Void

Re: Power generation on Mars

Thanks all of you.

I have found out that my copy and paste works from the image, to wordpad.  So the image script is in there.  However does not work if I do the [ img]???[ /img].  Will work on it some more.

I am able to paste my password if I to log on if I have it on Notepad.

……

Josh, yes there is more to read.  It looks like they think they may be able to improve the restored temperature significantly.

And molten salt storage has merit to compare to.  However Molten Salt storage would leak heat over time.  So this has the advantage of storing energy perhaps as long as 18 years.

The last line of the quote, indicates that they have hopes of increasing the restore temperature by 110 degC.  (I think).

So, if stored in a lake bottom @ 2 degC, could it be hoped that a temperature of 65 degC would result now?  And is their intention to get to:
65 + 110 degC = 175 degC,
or would they think they could get to 110 degC?
Not so sure.

Even so, I guess another factor would be what is the volume of the material to store the calories?  Relative to a molten salt bath.

Another factor is maintenance.  Common plastics I think will last a very long time at the bottom of a cold lake, not exposed to UV.  As I said before I am unknowing about the chemical reactions inside of the containers.  I am hoping chemically stable.

But to store energy during the day and generate power at night is good.
To have resilience in the face of a global dust storm, or some type of system failures would be very good.

Last edited by Void (2018-10-03 19:49:24)

I like people who criticize angels dancing on a pinhead.  I also like it when angels dance on my pinhead.

#127 2018-10-03 21:39:44

JoshNH4H
Website

Void wrote:

I have found out that my copy and paste works from the image, to wordpad.  So the image script is in there.  However does not work if I do the [ img]???[ /img].  Will work on it some more.

I am able to paste my password if I to log on if I have it on Notepad.

If the image is on your computer you need to upload it to the internet first, then follow the procedure I mentioned.  I normally use imgur.com to do that.

-Josh

#128 2018-10-04 20:27:10

SpaceNut
Administrator

The level of heat for salts will normally be with systems that concentrate the heat energy with reflectors that track the sun such as the Heliotowers of New Mexico.

#129 2019-01-17 20:34:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

recent power and thermal heat discusions

https://www.humanpowerplant.be/2017/09/ … plant.html

exercise and save the power you create

#130 2019-03-16 11:03:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks for the power information:

kbd512 wrote:

In any event, USGS has a neat little tool you can use to view quite a bit of data about our wind turbines (note: down now due to maintenance, apparently):

Mapping the Nation's Wind Turbines

Since you like wind turbines so much, here's a link to a little Canadian company that may be of interest to you:

WhalePower Corporation

Maybe they can provide sufficient torque at low wind speeds to negate the requirement for a gearbox for onshore wind turbines so we can use Magnax's axial flux generators to decrease the weight at the top of the tower.

Like so:

Magnax axial flux electric generator - wind turbine animation

I believe it incorporates the same type of load control feature as Haliade.

These style of of power creation is independant of the sping cycle as its collection of what is called wild power in which there are converters and inverters used to link what is save in the initial step as a DC voltage on Super caps or batteries and then converted to a steady state voltage. The in coming cycle, voltages are over a wide varied levels so the first stage is a wide inout voltage converter. which charges the next stage to a fixed level for use.

#131 2019-03-16 14:07:23

SpaceNut
Administrator

Its a motor no its a generator and depending on what why its wired its can be both.

Shrinking the mass of the motor

MagnaxAF_Promo.jpg?itok=2m5AHvZS

https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/2795152/ … 20v1.9.pdf

#132 2019-03-16 14:28:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

#133 2019-03-17 08:28:29

knightdepaix

SpaceNut wrote:

recent power and thermal heat discusions
https://www.humanpowerplant.be/2017/09/ … plant.html
exercise and save the power you create

This makes sense at a gym location near the greenhouses of a human settlement on Mars. The energy saved from power by humans exercising over time and waste heat from electricity and vehicle fuel generation and consumption as infrared radiation is stored and released as ultraviolet radiation by LED.

See another thread for photon upconversion:
http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8916

#134 2019-03-17 08:37:00

SpaceNut
Administrator

Human execise is a part of combating Mars low gravity for man so why not make that apart of our energy sources, sure its less than others but every little bit save mass and gives a reserve for other activity as well as growth. Thanks for reading my posts knightdepaix to which we are also looking at the idea for backup in recumbent/ light mass rovers as well. The image of the motor in posts between this one and the quoted are also possible to be configured as a generator.

Board footer