New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-01-10 18:42:33

asdfghjkl
InActive

Re: HELP.........................please? - For an essay

I need to write an essay 500 words long can you help me?  Please contact me before jan. 12 2005.

[url=http://forumofstuff.proboards34.com/index.cgi]http://forumofstuff.proboards34.com/index.cgi[/url] MY FORUM ^_^

#2 2005-01-10 19:10:29

Grypd

What is the essay about?

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#3 2005-01-10 19:38:10

asdfghjkl
InActive

why i would want to visit mars

[url=http://forumofstuff.proboards34.com/index.cgi]http://forumofstuff.proboards34.com/index.cgi[/url] MY FORUM ^_^

#4 2005-01-10 19:39:10

Cobra Commander

Why would you want to visit Mars?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#5 2005-01-10 20:05:11

asdfghjkl
InActive

shrug

i would much rather stay on earth

but i had to pick another planet

#6 2005-01-10 20:23:13

Ian Flint

Well...I see in your profile that your interests are 'stuff' and your location is 'nowhere'.  There is a lot of stuff on Mars and it is indeed somewhere.

But seriously, here are some reasons:

1.  You like the Earth a lot and Mars is the most Earthlike planet in the solar system.
   a)  Its day is about 24 hours long.
   b)  It has an atmosphere albeit a very thin one.
   c)  It has plenty of water (ice).
   d)  It has survivable temperatures (very cold, but nothing a heater can't cure).

2.  All the planning for living on Mars has been done for you.
   a)  It is the most explored planet other than Earth.
   b)  Plans for human missions to Mars have been around since the 60s.
   c)  There is even an organization devoted specifically to the exploration and colonization of Mars -- The Mars Society.

I'll let you come up with the rest on your own.

#7 2005-01-10 20:26:13

John Creighton
Website

Rock Climbing  smile

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#8 2005-01-10 21:41:21

clark

You get 326.

I want to visit, to touch a pinprick glimmer of red-orange light, the one whose wandering travel has led countless generations in wonder. This star, named by ancient belief as a warring god, recast by poets as a place of canals and fallen civilizations, revealed by science as orbiting desert and empty seas, waits for a new chapter in an endless story. One of men and women, of rockets and a shortened horizon where the distant glimmer of a blue light is called home. Where silver domes glisten in the thin Martian air as fine rust colored dust seeps into a salmon sky. Of canyons traveled, longer, wider, deeper than any human has ever tried. 

There are mountains enough to climb at home, yet none that pierce the sky as the long dead volcano, Mt. Olympus. To stand upon the top of a world, the wide expanse of forever running in every direction, no cloud or atmosphere to impede your view, would be to live but for a moment as ancient Zeus within his court. What sights wait unseen, undreamt by visionaries, never surmised by genius, it waits upon the planet next door, at the base of where the Greek and Roman gods once dwelt.

Yet there remains more reasons than these for wishing to touch toes on never touched soil.  Beyond the Moon, once visited long ago, there waits the step beyond. There waits an unfounded civilization with emerald canals of alien wine. Cloud crystal cities glowing golden in a sunset from distant sun, as new people, made tall and noble by thin air and one-third gravity, mold Mars into a new world. Terra-forming, where empty seas are made full, where rust and orange bloom green and blue.

I wish to visit Mars as it is, as it could be, and as it will be one day. To visit when my feet may mark the clay, and to witness when a future washes them away.

#9 2005-01-10 21:53:05

Ian Flint

Wow,
I thought my outline was too much, but this...wow!

The funny part is how much the report will change right around word 327.  :laugh:

#10 2005-01-10 23:15:36

Mad Grad Student
Website

Hey! Don't help this guy cheat! You never helped me when I tried to cheat off all you guys! :angry:

Grood luck with the essay. In what grade level are you? I would kill to have assignments like 300 page essays, wait till you need to do four page essays overnight for up to three classes at a time.

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

#11 2005-01-11 01:26:44

Euler

I would kill to have assignments like 300 page essays,

What are you, a masochist?  I have enough trouble with the 20 page essays that some of my classes assign.

#12 2005-01-11 09:22:39

Ian Flint

300 page essays

I think they're called books.  :laugh:

#13 2005-01-11 16:01:57

clark

Well, old saying, give a man enough rope to hang himself by...

Of course, there isn't enough there unless he does some work, and trying to incorporate that into his in own voice... well, I would enjoy reading the end product.  big_smile

All that said, I for one enjoyed his expression of interest for Mars... prefrence for Earth, but he had to choose another planet.

I think most here can relate to that sentiment. If you have to choose a planet other than Earth, Mars seems to be the popular choice.

#14 2005-01-14 22:10:35

Mad Grad Student
Website

big_smile

Heh heh. That was 300 word essays, not pages. Wow. This is a pretty cool hole I've just talked myself into...

Yeah, at least I don't have to deal with 20 page essays I suppose. But with the high school schedule (which requires me to wake up at 6:00AM for no good reason), outside projects to make my college application more attractive, chatting with you guys (which addmitedly I don't do as often as I'd like or am able to), and the plain, bald-faced fact that I am not a college level student yet, you can (hopefully) understand that my schedule can be a good amount overwhelming sometimes. Even if am just a lowly high school sophmore (go class of '07!).

As for the essay, if you just look around there's a plethora of reasons to go to Mars, varrying from reasonable to silly sitting around here on the forums. Earth is pretty cool, but other than that Mars is indeed the place to be.

Perhaps I should proofread this time. Oh, what the hey... :laugh:

A mind is like a parachute- it works best when open.

Board footer